Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373

Has anyone else experienced that Cloud Save in games doesnt work on the tv?? ive made a huge progress in Minion Rush on my phone, but it wont sync to the tv :smirk:

Another thing, *ive finally got som new intern data, a big update is coming by the end of September. its currently in testing (maybe its the Android 5.1 update, that the states have been "testing" the last two months?) :laughing: :laughing:

cozzykim

Do we have any links to the US version of this forum, to see what they make of the update?

profile.country.NO.title
Einride
Explorer

I wrote a review of the 55W755C, although in Norwegian. I gave good ratings for the picture quality, which I do find very good, but I wasn't very positive about the Android TV part. The review was approved, and it's available at http://www.sony.no/electronics/tv-er/w750c-series/reviews-ratings (use http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx to translate it, I found it to give a better Norwegian to English translation than Google Translate).

I was actually surprised that they approved it, but I'm guessing they just looked at the different ratings and decided that it was okay.

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

I had use a VPN to get to this page, but think it on the right track, in regards to others having issues with the Android OS on Bravias...

http://community.sony.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=2015+android+bravia

Will look for some more when I get chance!

profile.country.GB.title
Kel520

I've made a bad choice in spending 1800 pound on a tv with limited working functions.

Now just found out Voice Search does not support web browsing !! come on.... this is one of the main reasons people would want to  use it for...

I dont get it its a google voice search with an opera web browser? does anyone know if this will be made avalible in the up a coming firmware release?

If not its going back.

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

it looks like they have stopped selling the tvs online direct from sony? (sony.co.uk website)  only retailers are showing up now. My guess is they have stopped production of these models and are selling out the existing stock? Anybody any idea?

scoopy6

We had some reservations about Android Tv too, as posted earlier, but having just discovered KODI

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/49x8309c-android-tv-with-kodi-keyboard-commands/td-p/201...

All is forgiven and what a bargain it really is 🙂

The link is posted in case someone here might know how to get those pesky special commands for our universal remote to emulate a keyboard for KODI, via the Sony Tv?

49X8309C in uk
andrewsoong

They're closing their EU store for everything, not just TVs.

HairyFool

The whole point about Android based solutions is the operating system should be isolated from the hardware, the Android that works on our 2015 models should be upgradeable to the same as later models. Admittedly it may not support detailed features but the core should be the same.

Only if Sony has deliberately designed the 2015 hardware to be restrictive would this not to be the case. The trouble is they do not guarantee forward compatibility so there would be little redress, these are not PCs built to a well defined and documented hardware specification.

Built in obsolescence is not unheard of in this industry and Sony will want this sorry saga to disappear fast (anybody remember Windows 8?)

DaM3k0n

Im suffering the HDMI issues, although slightly different... HDMI1 is not detecting my VirginMedia box, so is just displaying t ablack screen with HDMI1 on it...

Sony have advised I do a factory reset!

Im not doing this on a regular basis, so if it happens again, I will be returning the set, before my 14 day return period runs out.. Maybe Ill go with John Lewis who offer 90 days, and give Sony another chance to remedy this, and all of the other issues....

It will be a readl shame, as this was the only set I actually wanted!