Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
daknigh36
Explorer

I had my X903 picked up yesterday - I have a Samsung JS8500 being delivered this afternoon so will report back on it compared to the Sony.

andglend6
Explorer

KD-49X8305C Bought 2 weeks ago, and yes I suffer most of the issues being reported here

was putting up with it all but for the last 24 hours I have now lost the use of what seems to be all the Google related Apps e.g YouTube , google play , Google store etc. All report TV cannot connect to internet but Iplayer , Netflix are fine anyone had this ?

multiple resets have not solved it, changed to static addressing and back to dhcp nothing works ! I am a network engineer so I know what I am doing when it comes to network setups.

one odd thing , wireless icon although showing connected has an exclamation mark next to it ?

starting to really hate these TVs will John Lewis accept a return even though I have chucked the packaging ?

elraouk

Am also trying to decide on replacements, assuming my refund ever comes through (due a call today with an update).

Any recommendations on TVs, one in the 40"-43" range and the other 48" to 50" range, total budget ~£2k; that meet the following:

1. Good 4K upscaling
  2. Easy to use OS (wife and child friendly)
  3. Native PLEX support
  4. Freesat HD
  5. Freetime Freeview / Youview (for making catchup TV easier to use)

Not bothered by curved screens or 3D.

On paper you can see why I chose the X83C as it should do all these things (other than not being proper Freesat).

Samsung UE48J6500 (or up, couple of models here) and UE40J7000 / UE40JU6410

• Tizen seems simple enough to use
  • Good (unofficial) PLEX app
  • Models available with Freesat HD
  • 4K up-scaling isn't as good as Sony (according to the experts...) I wasn't overly impressed with the 4K upscaling when I saw them in Richer Sounds and there was bad motion blur (although reviews seem to say these need careful config to remove this).

Panasonic TX50CX802B and TX40CX802

• Not had a chance to play with Firefox OS
  • Doesn't look like there is a PLEX app available anytime soon
  • Models available with Freesat HD
  • Expensive by comparison

LG 49UF850V and 43UF770V

• Wasn't sold by webOS when I looked at a set in John Lewis, but its what a lot of other OS are based on!
  • Looks like PLEX's "Smart TV" app should work with webOS 2.0 at some point
  • Doesn't look like any of the LG models have Freesat, only Freeview
  • Cheaper than the rest

SDCEGavster

PS.. I should point out, that out-of-the box my KD-55X8507CBU talked to my Humax Freesat HD box, and viewed fine via HDMI 2.

After a software upgrade.. I lost the picture.

Triswillmott

I get the exact same problem sometimes. I've found 2 annoying work arounds.

1. Run the intial setup again from the settings menu.

2. Log out of the google account, then sign back in.

t1mmm9879
Explorer

Honestly, am I the only person who isn't having ANY issues really with my TV?

Picked up the 43 w805c and it seems to work absoloutely fine.

Occasionally a little slow to respond but thats the only issue i've had.

Ps4 and sky all hooked up....

I'm not gloating here, but just wondering if anyone else is having no issues? 

Thanks

dataghost
Explorer

I stumbled across this thread after googling my TV issues.  I have the X85C and I am appauled at the poor responsiveness of the TV, the crashes, the missing features.  Its a disaster.  The only good thing (luckily the most important thing) is the awesome picture which I honestly cant fault.

Me and the other half sit there and just laugh at times when we are trying to do something as simple as call up the guide or switch the channel.  Meanwhile the TV is spazzing out, not responding, or the one we like the most, the screen going completely blank and we are not sure if its on or off!

Whoever thought that using Android as the OS was a good idea needs to be shot, as does the person who skimped on the processor that doesnt seem to be up to the task.

Personally I thought the problems would have been worked out by now but no.  So while we still wait and hope it will improve, the price has dropped yet again.  Wonderful.

For anyone considering this TV here are the pro's and cons:

Pros:

• Amazing picture
  • HDR coming (so not really a pro as its not here yet)

Cons:

• Constantly lags
  • Takes ages to switch channels
  • Takes ages to call up the guide, often the guide will freeze
  • Slow to turn on
  • Slow to turn off
  • Apps struggle to run
  • Often the Tv will stop responding to remote commands only to come back to normal a while later
  • No YouView
  • No recording functionality
  • No PIP functionality
  • Sometimes needs a hard reboot at the mains
  • Stupid bugs like the wifi symbol showing an ! even when it has a connection
  • When in the home menu it sometimes doesnt want to go back to TV no matter what button you press
  • Sometimes when it does go back to TV after being in the home menu for a length of time the picture is green and corrupted and can only be resolved by unplugging from the mains.
  • Sometimes, for no logical reason that I can think of, the TV comes on already in the home menu rather than on a channel. However it doesnt want to go back to the TV, going into the guide and selecting a channel snaps it out of its coma.

An update is LOOOOONNNGGGGG ovderdue!  Aside from that the picture is great!  :wink:

This TV replaced a Sony Bravia W6 which is a better TV in EVERY way, apart from not being 4k.

Twobins

Just checked out the Argos site for these Sony TVs and read the customer reviews. All positive - and then I saw they are all provided via Sony UK. I have asked Argos is it possible to include critical reviews as it is evident Sony are content to censor critisism and thereby invite prospective purchases to buy on the basis of biased, positive reviews. People might think twice if they saw the problems we have had. I'm contacting John Lewis on Friday to say I want to return the TV - my 90 days runs out on Tuesday and I had been hoping Sony would have issued more updates. At least when Nico was here we got some information but since he left, not a sausage.

andrewsoong

I thikn the next thing to go will be these forums. Then the mobile division, then the TV division!

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@t1mmm9879

You must be the golden ticket winner then LOL.

Do you have a surround sound setup? I don't believe that if you do, you have 5.1 running via ARC or optical. Have you got a Netflix account? If you do, and also have a surround setup, see if you have 5.1 showing in Netflix, I am sure you do not. I know this is not highlighting all the issues, I am just pointing out, that for the most part, people that are trying to use all the features of the 2015 TV's that are advertised just don't work or are buggy as hell. I am not saying you don't have a working TV, but I will say that I am guessing it fits your requirements just sweet! 

I myself use the TV just as a TV, and only get laggy menus as an annoyance.... but I want to use all the features that it is supposed to do because I have the equipment to do so and cant! That bugs me major!