Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Mekerz

I've had my TV (KD-49X8309C) now for about four weeks and I'm experiencing majoirty of the issues already described here.

This is my first Sony TV (came from a Samsung D8000 series) and I have to admit, apart from the picture quality, I'm not overly impressed. The user interface and general responsiveness of the TV is slow and I'm struggling to see the benefit of having Android baked into the TV is? The only upside I can find over the Samsung & Chromecast dongle setup I had before is being able to watch 4K content, which lets be honest, there isn't a lot to watch!

By the way, does anyone know why only certain models are getting HDR support with a future update? Is this a hardware limitation or is it being purposely being left out as a way to encourage people to trade up?

I bought the set from a Sony Centre and I'm not sure what the return policy is there, or even what I'll be set to gain by returning the unit? I'm guessing all Sony Android TVs suffer the same slow UI?

DaM3k0n

Regardless of return policy, these sets are clearly not fit for purpose, and you could argue they dont match their description, when they fail to provide advertised features.

Kevwoods12

No laggy  UI here,  I have to say I'm not experiencing any of the main problems highlighted in this thread. 

PIP /PAP, YouView and the fabled HDR update will make this even better. 

elraouk

Which model? 
The x83c and x85c seem to have issues 
t1mmm9879
Explorer

w805c at my end with barely any issues, slightly sluggish UI but thats it. 

Twobins

My X83c takes 4 seconds to change channel. Just one example of the sluggishness of this TV. Going to ring John Lewis tomorrow and have them take it back. If Sony sort it out later I can always buy it back cheaper than I paid for it in June. TV looks really good in my room but the lack of 5.1 sound on Netflix is also getting on my already frayed nerves.

t1mmm9879
Explorer

Surely that will be fixed in an update....! I'd expect so! 

Twobins

I've contacted Sony lots of times and they can't even give me any information on when the next update is going out never mind whats being fixed by it. Its too big a risk being stuck with something they seem only half hearted about sorting out.

Kevwoods12

Mines an 55x8509c. I don't use the internal tuner so I can't really comment on the slow changing of channels,  YouView will most likely improve that. I use sky hd for main TV use. 

Some are complaining about slow to turn on? Mine fires up in about 5 seconds from standby, which considering all that has to boot up,  is pretty good.  The Toshiba that this replaced took 30 to 40 seconds! 

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Apple wireless keyboard, or download Kore, for your smartphone, it's the
official remote for Kodi