Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
georgest
Explorer

I bought my Sony KD49X8309CBU in May 2015. I also bought an HTCT380B sound bar.
The sound bar has its own remote control, but in the Sony Shop they advised me that if I bought a QE5015 cable to connect between the TV and the Sound bar then I would only need to use the TV Remote to control the sound levels, so I bough a QE5015 cable. However, frequently when powering on the TV with its remote control, the Sound Bar does not power up or allow the level of the Sound Bar to be controlled, even when I then reluctantly use the Sound Bar Remote to power it on. Sometimes after say 30 mins I get a message on the TV screen saying that the "Audio System is Active" and then I can control the Sound Bar from the TV Remote, but it is not consistant. When the Sound Bar is not activated by the TV Remote and I select 'Settings' on the TV and 'Sound' and 'Audio' I cannot make changes to the Audio Device (HTCT380) and a list of compatible audio devices comes up, but the HTCT380 is not in the list. The TV and Sound Bar are both made by Sony, so one would expect them to be compatible! I have the Optical Sound cable connected between the TV and the sound bar and I also have the QE5015 cable connected between the TV and the sound bar, using the ARC sockets on both TV and sound bar. I have the TV settings fpr Bravia Sync in the 'ON' position and I have the Sound Bar setting for ARC and HDMI both set to 'ON'. Are we waiting (Sept 2015) for a software update to make the HTCT380 a compatible device for my Sony KD49X8309CBU and make the Sound Bar function as it should?

Twobins

KD43X85 down to £669 this morning at John Lewis. I'm expecting them to ring me this morning to arrange collection of my set. I'll ask them why they have slashed the price considering other major retailers ar still selling at £739. ( I was going to buy at £999 but decided to wait a few weeks and got it for £799)

elraouk

£669 for the 43X83C at John Lewis  is almost worth it; am sure they will have sorted the software out to an acceptable level within the 90 day return period. 

profile.country.NL.title
Vinc_E
Expert

georgest schreef:

I bought my Sony KD49X8309CBU in May 2015. I also bought an HTCT380B sound bar.
The sound bar has its own remote control, but in the Sony Shop they advised me that if I bought a QE5015 cable to connect between the TV and the Sound bar then I would only need to use the TV Remote to control the sound levels, so I bough a QE5015 cable. However, frequently when powering on the TV with its remote control, the Sound Bar does not power up or allow the level of the Sound Bar to be controlled, even when I then reluctantly use the Sound Bar Remote to power it on. Sometimes after say 30 mins I get a message on the TV screen saying that the "Audio System is Active" and then I can control the Sound Bar from the TV Remote, but it is not consistant. When the Sound Bar is not activated by the TV Remote and I select 'Settings' on the TV and 'Sound' and 'Audio' I cannot make changes to the Audio Device (HTCT380) and a list of compatible audio devices comes up, but the HTCT380 is not in the list. The TV and Sound Bar are both made by Sony, so one would expect them to be compatible! I have the Optical Sound cable connected between the TV and the sound bar and I also have the QE5015 cable connected between the TV and the sound bar, using the ARC sockets on both TV and sound bar. I have the TV settings fpr Bravia Sync in the 'ON' position and I have the Sound Bar setting for ARC and HDMI both set to 'ON'. Are we waiting (Sept 2015) for a software update to make the HTCT380 a compatible device for my Sony KD49X8309CBU and make the Sound Bar function as it should?

Have you tried the Bravia Sync menu? You can get there by using the sync button (top button) on your remote. 
That allows you to let the TV take control of the Soundbar when powering on and off. That setting should be already set on AUTO on your soundbar. 

Though the cable you got should be compatible with ARC, it might be worth trying a different cable just in case. 
Most cables work with CEC and ARC as long as it's not extemely old (or cheap). 

DarrellM
Explorer

I'm in agreement that Sony have been slow to roll out the firmware updates on the schedule originally outlined at launch and I'm sure heads will roll. I own a KDL-43W807C.

Yes the guide is slow, it's annoying that the TV picture and sound cuts out to black when you press the guide button for instance and that there is no way the overlay the guide in a compact view and flick through the channels in preview before switching a channel (the discover button does it to a degree but unless you've used the guide previously in the session no program data will show). 

Some of the UI is badly thought out, and some of the android UI can be slow at times, but on the whole I do think it's a good TV and the picture quality is far better than any of the Samsungs etc I saw. The 3D is excellent too. Once YouView and USB HDD recording are rolled out I think it will be well worth the purchase.  

Does anyone know if you'll be able to pause live TV in YouView?, coming from a Windows MCE setup I really do miss that feature. I've got the emby app running and served from my MCE which adds a nice set of features.

The Firmware updates will come and I do think that the issues will be solved it's just a shame Sony jumped the gun on hardware release. My two cents.

daknigh36
Explorer

Well I had the 55X9305c and returned it and got a Samsung 65JS8500 and can say that the picture quality is certainly on par with the SOny - I wouldnt say its better but its not worse either - and the OS system works without any issues (and Netflix has 5.1).

Overall the whole user experience on the Samsung has been light years ahead of the Sony.

DaM3k0n

I dont see why you couldnt pause/rewind Youview, as its just streaming conent.. you can pause iplayer etc...

Id not heard of Emby, looks like a Plex alternative but with the features you have to have a Plex Pass for... recently bought a lifetime Plex Pass too... damn!

andrewsoong

You can pause and rewind on Youview boxes because they are constantly recording what you are watching. It's still just a signal over the aeriel.

Because they've already said you won't be able to record on Youview then there's no way you will be able to pause or rewind.

Kevwoods12

I thought they said you couldn't record satellite broadcasts? Could be wrong.  

If you can rewind seven days on YouView,  surely you'll be able to pause it? 

andrewsoong

Their rewind service is basically the guide hooking into catch up services. So you go back to what you want to play, play it, and it opens that item in the relevant catch up service.

Playing live TV on Youview is handled by digital aeriel. On a normal Youview box that can be paused and rewound. That's because a normal Youview box can record. 

From everything Sony have said it looks like the Youview on Sony TVs will have no record function.