Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

Amazon are collecting mine on Thursday, taking it back no problem even though I've had it since June,  I think I'll wait for 2016 tv now, as it's more likely the 2016 tv's will land before an update for the 2015 line up. 

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Sorry to be a bore, but I personal think it is well worth it, and will be in the end for a lot of people, if those that are new, or are willing to stick it with these TV's till the end of either their 90 day cooling off before sending them back to log a complaint here https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact if they haven't done so already!

It may not fix any of the problems immediately, it may seem as if it is no point at all, but you don't know until you stand up and be heard. imagine if you will, if as someone said earlier, if SONY didn't just keep trying to release big updates (that keep getting pushed back) but instead concentrated on smaller or singular bug fixes at a regular basis, it would put a little more confidence in the consumer that they are working on and still supporting the 2015 sets! 5min is all it takes to fill in the form.

cozzykim

@theshamelessmanc

You're not being a bore - I agree with your points 100%.

I came back from holiday yesterday having switched the TV off at the mains.

I couldn't get any sound via ARC to the HT-XT1 from either my Humax FoxSat HDR or from a DVD player.

The TV sound worked fine, and the TV was saying that the sound base was connected, but no sound from it.

I cold rebooted the TV twice, no joy. Finally tried rebooting (mains plug out and back in) the HT-XT1 with the TV on, and the sound system sound came back on.

This thing is riddled with nasty bugs that would totally stump a non-techie user.

If it isn't sorted by mid October, mine is also going back to JL as I don't trust Sony's commitment to fixing the problems once new 2016 TVs are announced. Small incremental updates would go some way to restore that confidence - are you listening Sony - unfortunately, I think not.

scoopy6

We have not had much trouble with 49X8039C except that the Operating Instructions are impenetrable and so far I have found nothing useful by searching it.

Whenever it has crashed, needing a reboot, that seemed to have resulted from opening an app such as web browser, then continuing to try to do something else without closing the app which was already running, and maybe putting the Tv into standby can sometimes crash it for the same reason upon re-starting?

I think pressing 'return', 'return'...helps to get out first, or are there other ways round this?

The power button works a little strangely. It seems to require only a quick press and release to start the Tv but on pressing and holding it the Tv does not start until it is released.

On the other hand, with a universal remote, the duration of the command seems to need to be increased a bit.

Are these ideas off beam, or are there other tips?

49X8309C in uk
SDCEGavster

cozzykim wrote:

@theshamelessmanc

You're not being a bore - I agree with your points 100%.

I came back from holiday yesterday having switched the TV off at the mains.

I couldn't get any sound via ARC to the HT-XT1 from either my Humax FoxSat HDR or from a DVD player.

The TV sound worked fine, and the TV was saying that the sound base was connected, but no sound from it.

I cold rebooted the TV twice, no joy. Finally tried rebooting (mains plug out and back in) the HT-XT1 with the TV on, and the sound system sound came back on.

This thing is riddled with nasty bugs that would totally stump a non-techie user.

If it isn't sorted by mid October, mine is also going back to JL as I don't trust Sony's commitment to fixing the problems once new 2016 TVs are announced. Small incremental updates would go some way to restore that confidence - are you listening Sony - unfortunately, I think not.

Maybe I"ve been a little luckier than most, or just not playing with my TV (KD-55X8507) and the software as much as some users here. I have don't seem to have half the problems mentioned.

Issues:

• My Humax Freesat HD box (input to HDMI1) RM-F01 will no longer control the volume on HD channels.
  • Sometimes I get no video from my PS3 on HDMI2, but audio.

All very annoying, but if I switch my DA-3300ES AV off and on again, it works. 

However, regarding the software updates, consider iPhones and iOS 9. I have an iPhone 5s. It looks nice, the screen is pretty good, the build quality is excellent A similar parallel to my KD-55X8507 I would say.

But, I upgraded to iOS 9 the other day and it sucked. Then 3-4 days later there was iOS 9.1. So I upgraded.. and it still has bugs....  How many Apple software engineers are going to be listening, testing and working on the new fix I wonder? And how many issues do you think they are going to be testing?  Not a couple. Not a hundred... they are going to be waiting until they have thousands of customers feedback so they can test the bugs with rigour to make sure that the update released will fix as many problems as possible. Otherwise there will be bitching and moaning that their fix didn't work for some people...........

That's how software development and update works. Is it not?

All in good time, when it's ready. Not each week or to a random date mentioned 6 months ago. Because as we all know, each user will create a new set of issues with their own customised set-up that I'm sure the Sony software engineers just don't have the man-power to recreate or forsee. Let's face it, this is a Google (lollipop) problem > androidtv

Just my opinion. I've had my TV for 3 weeks now. I'm happy to wait. 

gunit1978
Explorer

I purchased a 43w805c a couple of weeks back, I love the picture quality on it and to be honest I haven't seemed to have a lot of the issues most people have had.

One thing that is really annoying when I plug a USB in, to any of the 3 ports after a few minutes when I start to scroll through the options on the home menu it starts to make a horrible tinny sound after the "bing" noise, makes it sound almost robotic, it then affects the sound on films and programmes.

Does anyone have any ideas what it could be, does it need replacing before my 90 days are up. I can do a soft reset with the off button which seems to sort it but I cant do that everytime I plug a usb in.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Hi Gunit1978

I have a KD43X8309CBU -  think there's an option in the settings to turn off menu navigation tones. I have no noise when scrolling through menus, apps, or USB/NAS folders etc.

Might be worth checking your settings.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
gunit1978
Explorer

Hi 

Thanks for replying, I did do that at first but it affects the sound on the tv as well afterwards, it makes it sound like there is rain or wind in the background 😞 when I reset sound is perfect.

Cheers

Kevwoods12

The menu navigation tones seem to work whenever they want. I've got mine set on,  but they're not sounding today. 

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@gunit1978

In the audio settings, there is a clear audio option.... I found that turning this off stopped the hissing noise on any channel i was watching, including USB/NAS and VOD (Netflix/Google)