Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
Rush8080
Explorer

I've read somewhere that x85 will get a HDR update. Is it true?

anjenki75

To the person who complained they couldn't control HD channels' volume anymore from their Humax box:

How does the Humax box control volume? Does it apply a volume control in the box itself, before passing it to the TV? Or does the remote send an IR code to the TV? Devices nowadays usually let the TV control the volume, and include a few convenience buttons on the remote for controlling the TV (e.g. on/off, change input, volume). For example this is what the Humax DTR-T2100 (YouView) does.

If it is the latter (IR), then obviously it won't work until you teach it the correct remote code for the Sony.

If it is the former, then this could be the same issue as the HDR-Fox T2 had. If so, it is not a problem with the TV but the Humax box. It is down to the way the audio is encoded. On Freeview, HD channels use multi-channel Dolby digital audio, and SD channels use AAC stereo. The HDR would send the audio from HD channels straight through to the TV without decoding, because this gives the best audio quality, the Humax does not have multiple analog audio outputs, and it had to be able to send them over a digital (coaxial?) connection. By contrast, it is more common for stereo audio to be sent over analog, so the box decodes SD audio first. This meant that the Humax could apply an internal volume control to the SD channels but not the HD ones. It could be "fixed" by configuring the box to use stereo output, forcing it to decode the audio before sending it to the TV. Then you could control the volume "inside" the Humax box (although there were still two separate volume controls - one for SD channels and another for HD...). Really the fault was the design of the Humax box. It should not really have an internal volume control, it should pass everything through to the "output device" (either the TV or an amplifier if you have one) and let you control volume there.

If this is the situation for your Foxsat then you should set the SD volume to max (or to a value that results in similar volume for SD and HD), and then control volume on the TV.

apoc.reg
Explorer

Really frustrating as I'm loving my screen in general (especially side loading android apps!!) but lack of youview and HDD recording is bad... especially at this point of the 'summer'...!

I mean HDD recording is pretty standard now isnt it!?!

DaM3k0n

Ive read the same.. but also read that HDR on screens that dont have any sort of dimming, is pretty pointless.. although I dont know if Sony's triluminous tech does offer some benefit...

gunit1978
Explorer

@apoc.reg wrote:

Really frustrating as I'm loving my screen in general (especially side loading android apps!!) but lack of youview and HDD recording is bad... especially at this point of the 'summer'...!

I mean HDD recording is pretty standard now isnt it!?!

Yeah I'm loving having kodi and netflix without any fire tv etc connected, also being able to have my films pictures etc connected via usb (when its not making a buzzy noise) is great for me. Love being able to have something on my phone and cast it straight to the tv as well.

For me youview and recording would be good but I'm still in contract with sky for 11 months so as long as its sorted by then I'll be happy lol

apoc.reg
Explorer

All would be fine if Miracasting worked, but it fails everytime (have tried about 6 different laptops!) then i'd just stram from that but plugging in with wures etc isnt the best.

Not yet near returning it (well within my JL 90 days at present) but would like Sony to speak, even if it was "Updates are progressing well and will be availible on X" but the lack of info is worrying!

t1mmm9879
Explorer

Agreed, not enjoying the silent treatment here... especially when the update was due today. 

SDCEGavster

anjenki75 wrote:

To the person who complained they couldn't control HD channels' volume anymore from their Humax box:

How does the Humax box control volume? Does it apply a volume control in the box itself, before passing it to the TV? Or does the remote send an IR code to the TV? Devices nowadays usually let the TV control the volume, and include a few convenience buttons on the remote for controlling the TV (e.g. on/off, change input, volume). For example this is what the Humax DTR-T2100 (YouView) does.

If it is the latter (IR), then obviously it won't work until you teach it the correct remote code for the Sony.

If it is the former, then this could be the same issue as the HDR-Fox T2 had. If so, it is not a problem with the TV but the Humax box. It is down to the way the audio is encoded. On Freeview, HD channels use multi-channel Dolby digital audio, and SD channels use AAC stereo. The HDR would send the audio from HD channels straight through to the TV without decoding, because this gives the best audio quality, the Humax does not have multiple analog audio outputs, and it had to be able to send them over a digital (coaxial?) connection. By contrast, it is more common for stereo audio to be sent over analog, so the box decodes SD audio first. This meant that the Humax could apply an internal volume control to the SD channels but not the HD ones. It could be "fixed" by configuring the box to use stereo output, forcing it to decode the audio before sending it to the TV. Then you could control the volume "inside" the Humax box (although there were still two separate volume controls - one for SD channels and another for HD...). Really the fault was the design of the Humax box. It should not really have an internal volume control, it should pass everything through to the "output device" (either the TV or an amplifier if you have one) and let you control volume there.

If this is the situation for your Foxsat then you should set the SD volume to max (or to a value that results in similar volume for SD and HD), and then control volume on the TV.

Hello, that person would be me.

I've read previous posts about the IR code for the Remote commander but don't seem to be able to change it.

But, if it is an IR code issue, why does it work for all other channels? It's not like the remote does not work at all. It's not a deal-breaker for me as I quite like the new One-Flick Touchpad TV Remote, but my better half is not happy about more remotes around, adding to the five we already have for other AV devices!

Previously my Humax remote controlled the volume for all channels on my old Sony TV (KDL-46W4000), something that just worked straight from the box. 

I've checked he Humax settings for audio and it is still on Stereo. I've not changed it.

Hmmm... so no resolution then....?

Your final comment is an issue, as when one invariably flicks from an SD to an HD channel, the difference in volume level is ridiculously annoying. There is no happy medium, as the TV volume level creates a base level for the Humax box to the build volume from. As it always did. We used to have the Sony TV volume set around 30-40. Which worked very nicely.  Maybe we just need to experiment a bit more.....  I have time tonight :slight_smile:

My new Sony remote also controls the master volume on my Sony DA-3300ES AV, which is a bit frustrating. need to fix that. And there is no way we can have the sound going tthrough the AV all the time, even if that were possible. Means more remotes!

Thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

apoc.reg  - Casting works fine for us - used multiple devices; IBM laptop, Sony Experia phone, Samsung S4.

Presume your wifi is stable and has enough bandwidth. Does it always fail in the same way/with the same message?

My Model KD43X8309CBU
mr_robot
Explorer

Still no sign of a UK update, there is however a US update that has been published today.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=XBR55X900C&LOC=3#/downloadTab

Anyone know what the impact of pushing a US update onto a EU model TV will do?  I dont actually use the terrestrial tuner, only Sky +