Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373

Maybe Google is announcing something new regarding Android TV and Sony at
holding that update back until after the announcement? I know I'm
optimistic, but it doesn't hurt to be :grin:
anjenki75

@SDCEGavster: I think you ought to read my big post again. There are two ways to control the volume, and I looked up your RM-F01 remote and it is the same one used by the HDR I had.

If you use the volume buttons on the RM-F01 whilst in the "PVR" mode (buttons at the top) then it tries to control the volume using the Humax box itself. As I said, that is flawed because the Humax isn't clever enough to control the volume on HD channels. There might be some settings in the Humax (e.g. tell it to output LPCM or something) but I don't think it's fair to say it's the TV's fault. You'll need to stop using the remote in this mode - set the SD channels' volume to match the HD channels, and leave it alone.

If you use the volume button on the RM-F01 in "TV" mode then the remote sends the TV's volume control IR code. You need to programme the remote with the appropriate code and verify that all the functions work.

It is usually better to use the TV to control volume - that way it applies to every input equally (apps, your PVR, PS3 etc). The TV also supports controlling your AV receiver's volume instead of its own. This is a great feature, it means you can use your AVR all the time and you never have to mess with the AVR's remote - it turns on automatically. This works perfectly for my Onkyo AVR. I honestly don't know why you would want it to not do this, but you can change it in the settings if you wish. You need to sit down and think about it for a moment - it sounds like you have three places to control volume: on the source (Humax), the TV, and the AV receiver. It's no wonder that you get variance between the volume on different channels/sources.

So chromecast for Google photos was just announced. Perhaps that's part of the update. Not sure if it requires an update on the TV side

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

How much longer are Sony going to continue to shaft european users? US users have been getting regular updates, yet we need to wait months!

STOP JERKING US AROUND.

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

Just had a phone call from amazon, they have given me a full refund and I can keep the TV ☺ great as I got a free soundbar with mine I would've had to return as well, but I can keep that as well. Big thanks to amazon.  

Jacobjacobi

I thought I'd chip in and say that the lack of updates is extremely disappointing. I have a load of hardware that is of barely any use in this tv. I bought it from the high street and so don't have the same great returns policy you guys are getting. If I could, I'd send it back tomorrow as what it says it has and what it has in reality are a complete mismatch. 

Kevwoods12

A free TV and soundbar.  Not bad.  I bet those niggles font seem as bad now? 

DaM3k0n

@Jacobjacobi wrote:

I thought I'd chip in and say that the lack of updates is extremely disappointing. I have a load of hardware that is of barely any use in this tv. I bought it from the high street and so don't have the same great returns policy you guys are getting. If I could, I'd send it back tomorrow as what it says it has and what it has in reality are a complete mismatch. 

YES YOU DO!  These TVs have inherent faults so you would be protected under the Sale Of Goods Act.. know your rights and stand up to them!  The sets arent fit for purporse and you could argue dont match their description, if they arent providing features that were advertised.

You have up to 6 months during which time it is assumed that any faults were present when you received it, and its not up to you to have to prove so...  Ive had refunds on faulty stuff after 4 months.. but the least your could expect is an exchange, if not a refund...

moda101
Explorer

Hey

I ssen your post on the forum.  I see that you ordered your tv from amazon and you got a full refund and having the same problems with android. How did you go about thism did you ring amazon? Did they also let you keep the tv?

Thanks for your help in advance

Al_Charles

I think its about time we all started to work together to either return our sets or force Sony to do something.

As single people we are smacking our heads against a wall, so lets get organised.

If we have to return our TV so be it. But lets get all the Sale or goods act facts so we can help everyone working as a group will mean we can gain. Up till now Sony have treated us like idiots, time we showed them that is not the case.