Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Mekerz

I've decided that this will be the last Sony product, aside from Playstation (unless they manage to screw up as bad as Sony have with these TVs) that I'll be buying. This is the third disappointing product of Sony's that I've owned and it's the final straw for me.

My Sony Vaio laptop was just slow and full of bloatware, the SSE-BTR1 I've recently bought fail to keep track of my heart rate, the manual and software hasn't even been translated into proper English and you can't create or sign into an account to sync your data because their servers are down until October for maintenance.

There's a common occurrence here and that's Sony's ability to provide stable software. Just look at their Xperia phones; DxO Mark rank Apple, Samsung & LG ahead of Sony's Xperia devices for picture quality and the silly thing is, majoirty of these brands are using Sony camera sensors. I.e. other manufacturers can get more out of Sony's hardware than they can themselves.

Anyway, we're all wasting our energy by posting on here because this is just a community forum Sony have put in place for members of the public to help troubleshoot each other's issues. It appears no one from Sony is reading any of these complaints, or they are and are choosing to ignore us as we only represent 0.0001% of total Sony TV users. I'll be voting with my wallet tomorrow by returning my set for a refund and going back to Samsung.

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

Yes just playstations for me also 

Kevwoods12

Nothing wrong with Experia phones,  have to say. 

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

A little off topic, but brought back in by example, Playstation have a big update today..... one that has been hyped up for several weeks now, on a blog that informs the community about such upcoming things and other interesting news. Basically, an informative place to let the customer base know what and when to expect updates, what the do, or why the updates have to be pushed back!!!! Such a great idea that is, I wonder if it will ever catch on?

Jacobjacobi

My email. I would really encourage others to do the same, no matter how irrational you feel or little effort you want to put in. Just make up the numbers, because this clearly means nothing. I will also be taking the issue to the local trading standards (in Jersey) and asking that they suggest the items be removed from sale locally as they are not fit for purpose.

Dear Mr Londema,

I am writing in regard to the Sony KD-43X8307C that I recently purchased and its glaring lack of functionality. There are a few items that I am perfectly willing to wait for, especially given that your website states that they are not yet available; although I would argue that such information should be made readily apparent at the point of sale. My disappointment stems from the fact that there are issues in some fundamentals with the TV, which I list below:

• Neither Netflix nor Amazon Video support 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Lip Sync over HDMI is unusable, which therefore means that 5.1 Surround Sound isn’t viable through that source either
  • Netflix and Amazon Video both become unresponsive on occasion (2-3 times weekly) and in both cases a full power down and power up is required
  • The speed of the TV overall is questionable, with a need to  frequently repeat inputs on the remote before the TV responds (this inconsistency sometimes means that a double input is accidentally entered, resulting in the wrong action)
  • I cannot configure the networking for the TV to any extent other than connecting to a WiFi network - meaning no control over DNS servers, etc.

The first 4 of these items render the TV unfit for purpose, but your website states that updates are forthcoming, although extremely infrequent (July being the last as I am sure you know). I patiently waited for your 29th September release and see that nothing has come of it. Furthermore, you have failed to keep your customers informed as to what is happening, nor have you updated your website to advise of a new date. There are really only two ways to satisfy your stakeholders: keep quiet, commit to a date and deliver to it or, be open, suggest a date and keep all parties up-to-date on any potential slippage. Sony appears to be committed to combining the 2 worst elements of these approaches and failing to deliver any of the benefits.

Like many on your user forums, I have been a long time Sony user who purchased this in the hope that your company would deliver to the quality that it once did. I was one of those that had to worry when Sony security was breached and my details were stolen: I am now one of those that bought a Sony Android TV with a few known missing items of functionality on the back of a commitment from you. I am writing this email to advise that I intend to return the TV in question and to commit to never buying another Sony product: any other response on my part would be foolish, would you not agree?
djadrianc

Really....surely Sony upgrading from the Z2 to the soon to be launched Z5
in 16 months means they aren't making the right sort of phones in the 1st
place to keep up with competition IMHO
--

Thanks Adrian

Sent from my Mobile
Kevwoods12

Z3, Z3+? You seem to have forgotten those. Nothing wrong with the phones mate. Anyway,  off topic. 

SDCEGavster

Guys, can we please stay on topic?

Go to the appropriate thread to write about PlayStation or Xperia phones.

Please let's not have this become the generic burn Sony thread, however frustrated we all are.

:handshake:

willisonline
Explorer

I have recently purchased the KD-43X8307C,, thankfully I bought from Costco who have a very good returns policy, I am reluctant to return the TV though as the Tv is very nice as is the picture, but the apps and software is awful, so slow and unresponsive. I am going got buy a separate streaming box to bypass this issue (although I should not have to). 

All I expect is a TV which performs as expected and like a TV from  2015 should. I shall wait a few months to see how things progress then decide.

Poor from Sony though.

Jacobjacobi

@willisonline wrote:

I have recently purchased the KD-43X8307C,, thankfully I bought from Costco who have a very good returns policy, I am reluctant to return the TV though as the Tv is very nice as is the picture, but the apps and software is awful, so slow and unresponsive. I am going got buy a separate streaming box to bypass this issue (although I should not have to). 

All I expect is a TV which performs as expected and like a TV from  2015 should. I shall wait a few months to see how things progress then decide.

Poor from Sony though.

I would offer a word of caution here: the lip sync lag over HDMI is attrocuious, which (at least in my case) renders the use of any external sources untenable.

If you have another source, have you checked the lip sync issue? It sometime takes a little while to show itself, but in my experience, you won't manage to watch even a 30 minute TV episode before it becomes too much to bare.

I have been to my local Sony reseller and they will be contacting Sony directly today and coming back with an answer by 12 noon. I have advised, that unless there is some exceptional circumstance, I will want to return the item, which they have accepted.