Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
johndstephen83
Explorer

Same Issues here with my 49X8309 purchased little over one week ago.

Audio drops (when watching TV's digital receiver only) and unacceptable levels of lip sync when watching Blu Rays on my Panasonic 4K upscaling Blu ray player and Netflix. Funnily enough, no lip sync issues when watching TV through my Panasonic Freeview recording box though which is also connected via HDMI.

I'm willing to wait for this next update but if the problems fail to be rectified I will be returning the TV and XT1 sound stage.

stoolzo

deleted

wills_b

To those with sound issues, whilst I have definitely noticed some sync issues mine haven't been too bad.

I use an XBox One for Netflix and Amazon (so that I can have 5.1), which runs into my Pioneer receiver and from there to a 49"830c (or whatever the stupid serial number is).

I wonder whether some of the lip sync issues people are seeing are more those that are using Humax boxes or similar? Either an issue with the TVs sound processor or else an issue with ARC?

I don't know, but if you have the capability it might be worth testing to see whether plugging directly from your source to you sound equipment at least improves the lip sync issue.

Obviously not ideal but that's not surprising given this fiasco.
stoolzo

I've created a survey to get some feedback for amunition, never done one before so no idea if this will work or how useful it will be.

Be great if you could all have a go.

www.quicksurveys.com/tqsruntime/main?surveyData=Ezxvb4WwvGMK4/QIpRHDTB1dDtkqLP88HObZUdJ3SgE=

Jacobjacobi

@wills_b wrote:
To those with sound issues, whilst I have definitely noticed some sync issues mine haven't been too bad.

I use an XBox One for Netflix and Amazon (so that I can have 5.1), which runs into my Pioneer receiver and from there to a 49"830c (or whatever the stupid serial number is).

I wonder whether some of the lip sync issues people are seeing are more those that are using Humax boxes or similar? Either an issue with the TVs sound processor or else an issue with ARC?

I don't know, but if you have the capability it might be worth testing to see whether plugging directly from your source to you sound equipment at least improves the lip sync issue.

Obviously not ideal but that's not surprising given this fiasco.

I can do the same: if I use Netflix on the XBox One and hook it striaght into the Sonos Soundbar, there are very few lip sync issues. But when I use the Sony TV out, the issues occur. I want it from my TV as that way all sources (including the TV itself) are automatically fed through the Soundbar.

I agree that it is an OK workaround in the meantime, but it cannot be a long term solution and Sony make me worry that it will have to be the long term solution. I will play it safe and return the TV.

Jacobjacobi

@stoolzo wrote:

I've created a survey to get some feedback for amunition, never done one before so no idea if this will work or how useful it will be.

Be great if you could all have a go.

www.quicksurveys.com/tqsruntime/main?surveyData=Ezxvb4WwvGMK4/QIpRHDTB1dDtkqLP88HObZUdJ3SgE=

We need the option: my TV has edge bloom issues, but I have yet to escalate it. or something similar.

Triswillmott

Exactly the same workaround here too.

Had the ps4 connected to the tv, then tv to soundbar and the sound was either delayed by a second or heavily distorted. Plugged the ps4 directly into the soundbar and noticed not only is the sound perfect (both in time and sounds correct) but theres significantly reduced input lag.

These TVs really are absolutely dreadful at processing just about anything. Annoyed at myself for deciding to wait for the update (that never happened) yesterday rather than returning the tv before my returns period expired. Stuck with this god awful piece of technology in my lounge now.

wills_b

Or my TV is dreadful but I haven't yet lost all hope that Sony will fix it.
Triswillmott

Just completed it. Thought to myself "actually, maybe my tv isn't so bad after all" for the first few options, then i scrolled down and ticked every single box :laughing: and realised how rubbish it really is.

anjenki75

Lip Sync: Obviously if you take the Sony TV out of the chain (by connecting the source directly to the receiver/soundbar) then you will not have the problem, since the problem is clearly with the TV.

The TV is introducing a delay when it passes the sound to the sink (output device). For some sources it seems this doesn't happen, for others it does. In fact I have found that on my Humax YouView box, the BT AMC HD channel -does- have the delay, but the regular channels do not (in fact I have had it happen a couple of times, but fiddling with the sync settings on the Humax seems to reset things and the problem goes away). My PS3 (which I use to watch BluRays and not a lot else) always has lip sync issues, but the audio on these is always DTS-MA or TrueHD. Broadcast TV on the other hand is either AAC or  I theorise that the reason is to do with how the audio is encoded. Whether it is because the TV just handles them in a different way or because the TV is actually decoding and then re-encoding the audio, I don't know.