Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
UKPiglet

Thanks for replying Peter. I thought we were getting the silent treatment.

I've been following and lurking in this thread from the start.

I returned a 55" Samsung J7000 as they repeatedly failed to get a working BBC iPlayer and in place bought a KD55X9305 on the promise that it would have all the catch-ups by end of Summer 2015.

I didn't get a free controller. Since I bought the TV the price for this TV has dropped several hundred pounds and it is still not as functional for catch-up as the Samsung I returned, and needs rebooting nearly every day just to barely limp along in current functionality.

As has been said by various people in this thread I would also prefer to have more frequent incremental/optional firmware patches than having big bang dates pushed back.

I've spent all my working life in software development from Z80 assembler to current day architectures. I'd be happy to opt in to less than perfect updates and report back issues if that would help. You have the potential here for a large number of testers who would help you for nothing...and you'd get good will.

I'm really really close to returning this TV. I could do so, get the purchase price back and go and buy a top of the range Samsung UE55JS9000 model for less than I get back.

Can you think of a good reason I shouldn't do this? I'm struggling to come up with a reason other than I like the sound (when it's behaving).

Picture quality - just one, but most important reason to keep your Sony
Al_Charles

@NicolaiLarsen91

The ONLY reason to keep the tv is picture quality. Every other feature is done better by other companies.

wills_b

I'm not that taken with the picture on the 49X8309C to be honest.

I think the 55 is meant to be much better.
elraouk

55 will be triluminous, so will be better. 
Was happy with the screen on the x83c.  Tempted by a Samsung 7000, but they have pretty bad motion blur if not set up correctly and there own list of issues. 

The 49X83 has way to crushing black and colours gets a bit muddled out. The
W8-series has better picture, and X85 is way better, by miles
elraouk

If Sony had fixed most of the bugs in the existing firmware (am not too bothered about missing features personally) then I was looking at the KD55X9005CBU, as John Lewis had it at £1,499 after £300 trade in.  That is only £200 more than I am getting refunded for the 49X83C that never made it out of its box!

However JL are now out of stock, so not sure if that will happen as with all the problems I had with the 43X83C and returning that (and the 49X83C) to Sony direct, I really want to get my next TV from JL due to the 90 day return policy.  Richer sounds have it at the same price, but when I spoke to them they said they would only have it back if it was actually faulty and that software isn't counted as "faulty" as they can fix it.  I know a lot of people have had good experience with RS, but that conversation didn't make me want to buy from them!

KinderEgg
Explorer

This is honestly getting ridiculous now. In the last two weeks, the North American variant of my model (W80C) has been updated twice, whereas here in the UK the last update was in July! Stop going for the big updates and just go for small incremental ones instead. 

Ive been getting ridiculous performance issues with my Bravia model, particularly its inability to play full HD content without lagging/ stuttering, which is only magnified when I attempt to change the volume. The video literally pauses for a good few seconds and then barely adjusts the volume when I do so. ThIs applies to both YouTube and Google Play Movies content. It's as if the TV is severely under powered to do basic tasks. 

Really disappointed.

Twobins

Just got an email from AO.com - they are reducing Sony Android TVs by a further £100 using the code ANDROID100. Wouldn't buy from them because their returns policy isnt as good as John Lewis, but its an indication that they are finding it difficult to shift these TVs. My old 43K started off at £999 and can now be got for £568 - all in the space of Sonys 'summer'.

DaM3k0n

@elraouk wrote:

If Sony had fixed most of the bugs in the existing firmware (am not too bothered about missing features personally) then I was looking at the KD55X9005CBU, as John Lewis had it at £1,499 after £300 trade in.  That is only £200 more than I am getting refunded for the 49X83C that never made it out of its box!

However JL are now out of stock, so not sure if that will happen as with all the problems I had with the 43X83C and returning that (and the 49X83C) to Sony direct, I really want to get my next TV from JL due to the 90 day return policy.  Richer sounds have it at the same price, but when I spoke to them they said they would only have it back if it was actually faulty and that software isn't counted as "faulty" as they can fix it.  I know a lot of people have had good experience with RS, but that conversation didn't make me want to buy from them!

@Ive  had a great experience with RS with my X85c... I even got them to extend the 14 day return policy they offer tomatch John Lewis @ 90 days, and have told them I may be returning the set for full refund if Sony dont make the next date for the update.. they were fine and have actually offered to come and collect the TV!

If the TV doesnt perofrm as advertised, its not fit for purpose.. it doesnt have the features it was sold with, so it doesnt even match its description... theres loads of reasons to validate your return!

They could fix the faults, but they havent..and without the software, the tv wouldnt do any of the features its being sold with, that dont work!