Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@si1001 I have been saying 24p (auto), this is wrong, just found a pic on my phone of my settings for the telly, it is "Auto (24p sync)" 

So Picture - Auto Picture Mode - set to " Auto (24p sync) " even if it is already set to this, just select something else in the list, then re select Auto (24p sync) and see if it works!

I've got a major problem! I've tried using both KODI and PLEX, any movie above 10 Mbps cant be streamed without stuttering or pausing the movie now and then (on LAN using high-end router, my NAS and using Cat6 cables) - but a remux/25-27 Mbps on USB plays just fine??

is it just a lawsy network card in this device??

Anonymous
Not applicable

@NicolaiLarsen91 wrote:

I've got a major problem! I've tried using both KODI and PLEX, any movie above 10 Mbps cant be streamed without stuttering or pausing the movie now and then (on LAN using high-end router, my NAS and using Cat6 cables) - but a remux/25-27 Mbps on USB plays just fine??

is it just a lawsy network card in this device??

Hi

Check to see if the video file is being transcoded at source before its streamed to the tv. 

Cheers

elraouk

I have the same issues with PLEX.  Had to turn direct play and direct stream off to get anything close to acceptable performance.  I also have high end router and cat6 cabling (can benchmark 800mbps+ easily over the same physical connection back to my server).

Network card is only 10/100, not gigabit but this should still not be a bottleneck for streaming even 4k local content (although pushing the limits ...). 

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Has anybody got 4k working?

Corresponding PC input signal
(Resolution, Horizontal frequency/Vertical frequency)
640 x 480, 31.5 kHz/60 Hz
800 x 600, 37.9 kHz/60 Hz
1024 x 768, 48.4 kHz/60 Hz
1280 x 1024, 64.0 kHz/60 Hz (2K Full HD models or 4K models only)
1600 x 900, 56.0 kHz/60 Hz (2K Full HD models or 4K models only)
1920 x 1080, 67.5 kHz/60 Hz (2K Full HD models or 4K models only)*
3840 x 2160, 67.4 kHz/30 Hz (4K models only)
* The 1080p timing, when applied to the HDMI input, will be treated as a video timing and not a PC timing. This will affect the [Display] settings. To view PC content, set [Wide mode] to [Full], and [Display area] to [Full pixel] (2K models) or [+1] (4K models). ([Display area] is configurable only when [Auto display area] is set to [Off].)

I cant change my auto display area!

And i cant change my wide mode

anybody tells me how, i will gift you a £50 steam game or two

please help

kind regards

richard

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Why cant i change my wide mode?

it says not avaliable with current siginal

i only brought it for a 4k screen, and i have tried dozens of things in the settings.

its going back if it doesnt do 4k!

i will gift ye a steam game if you know the answer...

i will try one more factory reset and see if it needs another firmware update as i cant use the bravia sync function as it says an update is needed. But when you go to update it says there isnt one...

Grrrrr

please someone help

kind regards

richard

SDCEGavster

rsebre wrote:

Has anybody got 4k working?

Corresponding PC input signal
(Resolution, Horizontal frequency/Vertical frequency)
640 x 480, 31.5 kHz/60 Hz
800 x 600, 37.9 kHz/60 Hz
1024 x 768, 48.4 kHz/60 Hz
1280 x 1024, 64.0 kHz/60 Hz (2K Full HD models or 4K models only)
1600 x 900, 56.0 kHz/60 Hz (2K Full HD models or 4K models only)
1920 x 1080, 67.5 kHz/60 Hz (2K Full HD models or 4K models only)*
3840 x 2160, 67.4 kHz/30 Hz (4K models only)
* The 1080p timing, when applied to the HDMI input, will be treated as a video timing and not a PC timing. This will affect the [Display] settings. To view PC content, set [Wide mode] to [Full], and [Display area] to [Full pixel] (2K models) or [+1] (4K models). ([Display area] is configurable only when [Auto display area] is set to [Off].)

I cant change my auto display area!

And i cant change my wide mode

anybody tells me how, i will gift you a £50 steam game or two

please help

kind regards

richard

Hi Richard,

I've not played with my settings as much as most here, as I'm still using my Humax Foxsat as my primary tuner/video input via HDMI 1. However, I can certainly view 4K content in 4K from YouTube and Amazon Prime apps. No problem.

But I have noticed that my TV (KD-55X8507) displays on screen "HDMI 720p" when it is certainly showing 1080p content on screen. Something is not quite right.

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Ive set my pc to output 4k which it does no problem, but unless i can get that -1 setting on, i lose the bottom of my screen, and my start menu. Its not good that i cant watch my 4k movies correctly.

thanks for the response. If you want a steam game on me, just let me know your steam email address and i will send you one.

kind regards

richard

Yeah. Transcoding is disabled on server, and Direct Play and Streaming is enabled on client

elraouk

I had to enable transcoding (PMS) and disable direct stream/play on client.  It works, but had the occasional jutter.

Think it is more down to the lack of processing power in the TV.  One of the reasons I am seriously considering buying a Samsung 7000 instead.  If only the Samsung looked a little but nicer.