Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
SDCEGavster

Again, I repeat... I have no intention of returning my KD-55X8507. I love it.

The minor issues I can live with until a fix is released, which I truly believe will come when it is ready!

scoopy6

ajenki75, thanks for the list.This item is especially interesting:

"Kodi lacks key mappings for important remote buttons and Kodi functions (like context menu)"

It might seem that the version of Kodi was not designed to respond to IR, but to blue tooth copmmands, such as all those which do work through the Sony Tv using a blue tooth keyboard. Perhaps any IR commands would need to be translated to the native kodi language by a box such as the MXV S805 media player, which is designed for its own IR controller.

With Sony X8309C, the Kodi app from google store does also respond to a BlueTooth keyboard's 'c' button by showing the Context Menu, as it does for the keyboard's other digit and letter buttons in Kodi's on screen keyboards. I had thought that this was not the Sony Tv's problem but that the original Sony IR controller just does not have equivalent buttons so no provision has been made to send them by IR, or in any case for the Tv to translate them specifically for Kodi.

Is this off beam, and is there a way round it with Harmony please?

49X8309C in uk
anjenki75

No there is not a way round it with Harmony that I am aware of, unless you can make it emulate a bluetooth keyboard (as a "device")...

The IR remote should work with apps like Kodi, it already has the appropriate buttons and they work in other apps. For example, the subtitle button. There is no reason why one should have to pull out a keyboard (not to mention buy one) to be able to press the menu button, when you have a remote in your hand and Kodi is actually designed to be used with a remote on a 10 foot interface... It just needs a little work on either Sony or Kodi's part for this to work I suspect. There may be a third party workaround via a key mapping addon; my point is it should work out of the box.

profile.country.en_GB.title
orangeyred

There's an addon called Keymap Editor for Kodi that lets you remap all the vital controls (i.e. "C") to various buttons on your TV remote.  It's quick, easy and painless to do.  Of all the criticisms of the TV, I don't think you can say this one should work out of the box as Kodi couldn't possibly make an app that works on many different devices with all their different buttons.  I use Kodi on my 43X805C and it works flawlessly.

scoopy6

orangeyred thanks. For the MXV I have tried the Keymap Editor but could not get it to work. Would you kindly provide a step by step, or a link for instructions?

49X8309C in uk
profile.country.en_GB.title
orangeyred

Not sure about MXV as I run Kodi natively on my TV.  The instructions should be the same though:

Kodi

Settings
Add-ons
Install from repository (v15) / Get add-ons (v14)
Kodi/XBMC add-on repository
Program Add-ons
Keymap Editor
Install

Then open Keymap Editor and follow on screen instructions.

Jacobjacobi

Sorry all, but I am ducking out of this one. I just returned it and bought a Samsung 40" JU7000 - it includes 3D (my kids will love that for 20 minutes), but it doesn't appear to have any of the other issues that I can find. Good luck to you all.

stoolzo

2015 Sony TV survey results (see my previous post)

latest results in, 100+ surveys now.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/83810329/quick_results.jpg

POLL IS NOW OFFLINE - FREE LIMIT WAS 100 SURVEYS

elraouk

Please let us know how you get on with the 40ju7000, it is on my list to replace the 43X8305C. 
MikeLothian

Two engineers have been out on behalf of Sony - they were due to replace the motherboard of my TV - even we all know this is a software issue. They've taken it away and said I'll probably get it back next week. They said they were going to put the latest software on it onces they've changed the motherboard

They said it would take approximately an hour to do the work and that's why they're taking the TV away and keeping it for at least 4 days.... 

Le sigh