Join now - be part of our community!

49X8309C Android TV with KODI - keyboard commands?

SOLVED
scoopy6

49X8309C Android TV with KODI - keyboard commands?

We got the Tv on advice from the shop and couldn't see the point of Android until discovering KODI, which is quite amazing. It was easily installed from the googgleplay store, and set up with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3ijoO1rMg

We found that, with a few exceptions, Kodi can be controlled entirely with the Tv's own basic remote. It is mainly the commands 'menu', or 'c', for the Context Menus, and direct character input from a remote keyboard, which are missing.

We have the original remote set up with JP1 on a URC6440 universal remote, and have tried the Keymap Editor from the Kodi repository, but may I ask what keyboard would be suitable, or where to get the keyboard commands, for operating Kodi via the Sony Andoid Tv? (or if the Keymap Editor might serve after all)

49X8309C in uk
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The easiest way is to connect the app (android/Ios) TVsideview to the tv that offer different remote options including a mouse and virtual keyboard. You can control with it also app that are not supported by AndoridTV and sideloaded (like chrome for example that does not work via a standard remote)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The easiest way is to connect the app (android/Ios) TVsideview to the tv that offer different remote options including a mouse and virtual keyboard. You can control with it also app that are not supported by AndoridTV and sideloaded (like chrome for example that does not work via a standard remote)
scoopy6

Thanks for the quick reply. Google search suggests that TVsideview requires a more complex Sony remote or 'Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.' which, hard to believe, we do not have.

To clarify, our JP1 remotes can learn or copy a suitable configuration from any IR controller and, if I could find which remote IR keypad works, we could use that info to program the URC6440/OARUSB04G.

49X8309C in uk
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Tvsideview works with virtually any iPhone or Android smartphone/tablet: don't you have any of them?
scoopy6

I know it is unusual, if not deviant :smileywink:, but we don't have any of them!

Could you possibly recommend a remote IR keypad which works with 2015 Sony Tvs?

49X8309C in uk
A_Jeremy
New

I can highly recommend the logitech k400 plus. I was hoping for a smartphone/tablet solution, but there's nothing wrong with dedicated hardware.

scoopy6

A_Jeremy thanks. To be able just to use our universal remote IR I really wanted to find a IR keyboard which could teach its IR commands to that. It appears there is no such beasty as an IR keyboard, so I got the following bluetooth one which works. Mainly because it is very small and won't cause much extra clutter http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N2JMFU4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

49X8309C in uk