Join now - be part of our community!

4k Iplayer on Sony KD-43XE8396

profile.country.GB.title
PClement15
Explorer

4k Iplayer on Sony KD-43XE8396

It appears my Sony KD-43XE8396 is currently unsupported for BBC Iplayer 4k content (Blue Planet II trial) while many other (lesser) Sony models are. Can anyone explain why? Iplayer say support for HLG format is needed which I believe I have by means of firmware update 6.2671 

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/downloads/00014882

Does anyone know if this model will support 4k Iplayer in the future?

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
MiteBe
Explorer

Hi there PClement15, there are another couple of threads on this subject which get many views. At the moment there appears to be no news on when, or even if other models will be supported. It's my assumption that due to the huge amount of interest from the community and the deafening silence from Sony that the reason is their fault.

If you look on the list only some 2017 Sony models are there. There are 2015 and 2016 models from Panasonic, and models from HiSense and unknowns like Techwood and Walker (whoever they are). So why so limited coverage for Sony? Did Sony have to send an example of each TV to the BBC and therefore didn't have examples of older models or is there some other simpler reason??  I have to admit Samsung look to be in the same position as well, and would assume Sony and Samsung would be much bigger sellers than Techwood and Walker !!

Sorry for the ramble/rant but I find it absolutely disgraceful that there's no "official statement" from Sony as to why.