Join now - be part of our community!

bug - volume on screen display

profile.country.GB.title
chenks76
Explorer

bug - volume on screen display

there is a bug where the on-screen volume indicator randomly doesn't show.

the actual volume control still works, but it doesn't display it on screen.

this is present in the recent Android Nougat update, and it was also present in the previous Marshmallow build.

it's random so can't be replicated on the spot.

at the moment it's occuring on my TV.

KD-43XD8305

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
lollypop11

I have seen the similar on my X90E. And, even sometimes when you press volume, the on display indicator shows a few seconds later. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I wish that was a bug. It's the stupid Android lagging. I suppose it's because the volume bar GUI is a sort of Android app (or a service, or else, whatever. I am not sure about its type) and sometime it must be loaded in RAM. It was the same in 6.0.1. Although it's true that now in 7.0 sometime the volume bar doesn't appear at all indeed. Unless it is taking ages, since keeping changing volume it shows even after 1 or 2 minutes.

The point is that some vital functions should be preloaded in memory and there locked. And I don't know why that's not the way Google implemented it. In my old phone I was even missing calls because the telefone app took too long to load (and that was outrageous).

profile.country.GB.title
chenks76
Explorer

this is anot a google issue.

it's a sony issue as this is not stock andoird, it's sony implementation of android.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I'd got the volume bar(s) showing seconds later also on old (low-middle range) Samsung and Sony phones. The same phones with the telefone app lagging. Different volume bars, but same identical concept. Actually I just tested it now on my old  Xperia M2. A couple of seconds. Which is 2 seconds too many for my taste. Then it has been nearly immediate the second time.

The biggest Sony's fault in this matter is that the HW (SoC and especially RAM) is quite undersized. It's like with the Discover button: I tend not to use it because far too many times it has to reload from scratch. Sometime even after having using it just 10 or 20 minutes before. Which is totally annoying. Or try accessing the settings (via Action Menu button) once and then immediately after. You'll se how the second time is usually much faster. That's because the last time I checked it is how Android manages the RAM: when low in free memory it starts killing apps and after an app has just been dismissed it is usually still in RAM.

Then yes, I may agree that in 7.0 there might also be a bug. Because the volume bar not showing at all (or after a minute)  is a bit too much. But the lag has always been there. I mean, everything is lagging, Leanback Launcher included. And that's all Google.

profile.country.GB.title
chenks76
Explorer

it's not all google though.

as those problems are not present on my nexus player, or my pixel phone, and those are both actual google devices with android direct from google.

these problems are due to sony, be it their hardware choices or there own version of android thay they tweak from the base version.

sony takes the base android build and then tweaks/changes/adds/amends it to suit their devices.

their amended version is clearly not optimised enough for the devices to apply it to.

Anonymous
Not applicable
DatGrey
Explorer

Looks to be fixed for me after the update to v6.2671! Can anyone confirm it's not just my imagination?

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I believe at least the volume bar crashing has been fixed. I didn't notice it not showing up anymore either.  It is still drammatically slow, though.

profile.country.GB.title
Wuthoqquan
Explorer

Yes, I can confirm that even after the upgrade to the latest firmware the volume bar is still lagging quite frequently.

Not sure if there's a connection, but the delay  is even more noticeable with cpu-ungry apps - like Netflix, for example. In such instances, the lack of response can be in the order of a few seconds and it also leads to the video stream lagging for a fraction of a second or quite considerably, if not freezing completely for a few seconds, after which the normal streaming restores, until possibly reoccurring upon the next volume change.

Initially, I was misled to believe the anomaly was related to a poor optimization of the Netflix app, but this is clearly not the case, since the streaming in Netflix is always flawless and it only suffers when setting the volume up or down. I also noticed that this malfunctioning is especially noticeable if the volume is adjusted during the first minutes since the streaming started. Otherwise, if the volume is changed when further in the middle of the video playback, it seems the volume app gets more responsive again.

Also, in Netflix, if the volume is adjusted soon after the video streaming starts, there's a sort of flickering or graphical imperfection noticeable on the volume bar displayed on-screen.

This is quite annoying and I blame myself for the lack of research done on the forums before deciding to purchase my Sony KD-55XE9005 about two months ago!