Join now - be part of our community!

Chromecast unavailable from standby (KD-55XD9305)

profile.country.GB.title
d_dave_1
Explorer

Chromecast unavailable from standby (KD-55XD9305)

I would like to be able to wake up the TV from standby when I attempt to cast something to it, but this only works for a period of time after it has been switched off.  Once this period has elapsed the TV is unavailable for casting and has to be switched on manually before the functionality is available.

I'm assuming that the Chromecast functionality is switched off by the TV after a period of time to save power, although I can wake the TV using the remote app so network functionality must be present.

Does anybody else suffer from this same issue or have a solution?

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

This is how it looks like in my environment with remote start enabled:

remotestart.png

At 23:00, the NAS shuts down for the night. You can see that the TV goes into deep sleep and the increased deep sleep power consumption.

Still, shouldn't the Google Cast "discovery" (when we touch the Chromecast icon in the phone's app) send a Bonjour signal or something similar? I mean, it should behave like when you unlock the iPhone. At the worst I have seen my TV or another (with Chromecast) appearing after a couple of seconds.

Sounds reasonable. I have no in-depth knowledge of Google Cast. But I think that the TV can explicitly be woken up when remote start is enabled. That's what it is good for. And I know for a fact that the TV goes into deep sleep with remote start being enabled.

Or can it happen that if the TV is in deep sleep unlocking the iPhone it doesn't wake up?

It does wake up. You understood correctly. But I would have to re-test the whole thing to be perfectly sure.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

There is also the Sony Video & TV SideView mobile app which should be able to wake the TV from deep sleep when remote start is enabled.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

What bothers me a bit about the image posted above is that deep sleep power consumption is sometimes 0.5W and sometimes 1W. Probably waking up only works with the 1W deep sleep. Wouldn't be the first thing that is totally broken on Sony...

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I did several tests now...

In my case "Remote start" does not prevent deep sleep. Several devices in the network could however very well permanently keep it alive, like for example my NAS with Bonjour being enabled.

The TV mostly wakes up as soon as I unlock my iPhone. And if not, a Chromecast client like the YouTube app for example takes care of it. Sometimes I have to kill YouTube and restart it in order to wake the TV up.

Also at 5 in the morning, when my girlfriend started to read the newspaper on her Android via Chrome browser, the TV woke up and did not go to sleep anymore until she locked the phone again.

The waking up looks a bit flaky (like everything on the Sony), but it works in principle.

I am still having an eye on it whether the TV gets into a state from which I can't wake it up via network device.

profile.country.GB.title
simhunte
Explorer

This never works for me either. I've had to go and buy a Chromecast to plug into the HDMI port instead of just using the built in Cast function of the Android TV. Very annoying for an expensive TV. 

I hope someone at Sony picks this up and fixes it. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@simhunte Do you mean that you never see the TV from an app when it is in standby (thus you can't wake it up), or you never see the TV at all? Which TV model anyway? If it is an Android TV there should be little differences from the added Chromecast and the one embedded in the television.

Unless, but only for the case when people don't see the TV at all, the TV is connected by ethernet cable, and the router doesn't make a single subnet WiFi+Ethernet. In that case there might be routing between the two and the Google cast packets may not get routed.

@Kuschelmonschter I have checked your posts. I believe at this point is also depends on each one's LAN. Sure, I have no tools to verify the Remote Start behaviour in my environment, in general the feeling was that there was no deep sleep when I turned on the TV. This before the last factory reset. Then something messed up with the net interfaces, that do not wake up before a minute (I believe I fixed it enabling the WiFi even when no connection is available).

profile.country.GB.title
simhunte
Explorer

It never appears on standby but usually (not always) appears when the TV is turned on. 

Even when turned it and visible casting from Netflix often fails. But it works fine on the Chromecast device plugged into hdmi. 

The implementation just seems shoddy and needs fixed. 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I don't know. Maybe try to delete the "Google Cast" data. You should find it in the apps list. I had the inverse problem: it worked via TV but not with my kitchen's Chromecast. I did a reset to factory settings of the Chromecast and it much improved (although I must say that lately the device feels like a piece fo junk. It keeps losing the connection, with the video playing by iteself but no controls working on the phone).