Join now - be part of our community!

Compatibility with Nvidia Shield or PS4 Joystick

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

Compatibility with Nvidia Shield or PS4 Joystick

I would like to know if anyone has already tried to pair an Nvidia Shield Joystick with the Sony Android TV. Many apps cannot be controlled with the Dpad so I'm think to buy a Joystick. From what I have seen the Nvidia Joystick has a mouse mode and that is what I'm looking for. 

I was also thinking to buy the latest PS4 pro console but I do not know if the joystick is fully compatible. I would expect so since it is a Sony product but by looking at the way Sony works and deal with bugs I'm not so sure anymore. Do you know if I would be able to use PS4 joystick like a mouse if I use the stick (not the directional pad)?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

DS4 can't be a mouse. At least not on ATV1 and not the first version of DS4. But if you don't need that function much you can use tvsideview for that. If you do, any logitech with unifying recever should work.

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

I'm thinking of buy a joystick because I want the mouse functionality. Many app are not compatible just because it is not possible to use them with the remote control. Actually the best would be to have the option to use dpad of the Sony remote control as it would be a mouse and to control the pointer in the same way it controls the pointer on the Opera browser app

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Luigi_R wrote:

Actually the best would be to have the option to use dpad of the Sony remote control as it would be a mouse and to control the pointer in the same way it controls the pointer on the Opera browser app

Did you mean the DS4's trackpad? Because the D-pad would just work like the arrows in the remote. Maybe just a bit faster.

I think I managed to use the DS4's trackpad in an app or another (unless it was the touchpad of the PS3 Wireless keyboard, now RIP. I am not sure anymore). The precision is so bad that it would make it nearly useless (as it is with the PS4). When I bought it I didn't expect the precision of my MacBook's touchpad, but I didn't expect to be so rough either.

Also I think Sony removed the DS4's compatibility. I have paired again my first gen DS4 again right now (my TV has Android 7.0) for testing. The buttons/D-pad work in Home, but in Opera I can't do anything other than quit the browser (with Circle). 

Then I tested it with SPMC (a Kodi's fork). It recognises that there is a new controller, but then it keeps asking to configure it. I am quite sure that in Android 6.0 the experience was much better, nearly flawless.

profile.country.IT.title
Luigi_R

I did not know that the DS4 had a trackpad. That would be great, but if you are telling me that DS4 does not work then ...How is it possible that we have to buy joystick from another brand without knowing if it will work? Between Sony products one would expect fully compatibility.

I was considering to buy the joystick GameSir G4s which has an air mouse functionality (see the following video at min. 13:50) but I do not know if it will be compatible or not:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLzvLFP2Kk