Join now - be part of our community!

Is latest update safe?

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Is latest update safe?

I've been burnt a number of times by applying updates to my Sony TVs - with noew faults and problems introduced by the update.  I read that Sony has an update for my new TV the KD-55A1 OLED.

Does anyone know if it's safe to install or shoudl I leace it a few months in case it's buggy too?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I have an XD8099 but the OS is exactly the same (drivers for the different HW, like the display, apart). It won't change much. I believe it does exacty what it says in the changelog (which is nearly nothing). Maybe (hopefully) it is more stable since the changelog mentions something about fixing the issue with the TV turning on by itself (due to a reboot?).

Anyway, if you want to install it just be sure to enable the app Samba TV before updating if you have it disabled. I mean at Android level (in Settings/Apps/Samba TV). Then in the Samba TV settings you can choose the option of not using it. If the app is disabled and you update then the app will enter in a infinite loop crashing every few seconds, and it becomes quite hard to enable it again (must click back each time the popup window appear).

Everything else, to me, looks just the same. All previous bugs still there included. But it didn't get worse. Maybe the audio in Amazon Video is a bit better (still stuttering once in a while, but not so frequently).

profile.country.GB.title
speedyrite

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

Anyway, if you want to install it just be sure to enable the app Samba TV before updating if you have it disabled. I mean at Android level (in Settings/Apps/Samba TV). Then in the Samba TV settings you can choose the option of not using it. If the app is disabled and you update then the app will enter in a infinite loop crashing every few seconds, and it becomes quite hard to enable it again (must click back each time the popup window appear).

Really??? Good heavens!

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi Igcebr,

Safe? I have no idea......but,

Personally I NEVER update ANYTHING (except Anti-Virus type stuff) untill I have found out EXACTLY (or as much as possible) what an update ACTUALLY does, as opposed to what it is supposed to do, or claims to do.

Most updates I did install on whatever device, in the past have never fixed a single issue present at that time, as far as I am concerned.

At best I have either seen no fixes & more of the 'staus quo', or at worst the update failed to fix anything but also broke something else too.

If your 55" A1 OLED tv costs what I think it did, I would not add a 'fix' to something that might not actually be 'broken', untill it actually IS broken badly enough to need that 'fix'.

Best of luck

First_Knight

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Problem is that you might store quite some precious data on your "smart" TV (like your Google account access with credit card). So you might want to update it just to keep it safe(er).

There is a lack of awareness among people, but also manufacturers. And Sony is no exception to that, only shipping latest Android Security Bulletins with major firmware updates instead of monthly. This also means that as soon as Sony stops support for some older Android TV models, we might want to look for some external media player, isolating the TV from the outside world.

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi Kuschelmonschter

"This also means that as soon as Sony stops support for some older Android TV models, we might want to look for some external media player, isolating the TV from the outside world".

Already done that.

I use Fire TV Stick & 4k Fire TV 'Box' for most viewing/listening of Amazon Video & Music, Youtube, BBC iPlayer, etc plus a 'free' Airplay app on Sony TV to stream 'Apple Music' to it (from an old iPhone 5). Sometimes I stream Youtube via the same app if I want to comment on Youtube videos (streamed from my iPad Mini 4), or to stream iTunes/iOS songs from iPhone 6plus to the Sony TV.

I can also occasionally watch old recordings or 'catch up tv' on my Sky+HD box, that is not available eleewhere.

Where I live 'freeview or youview' is not really an option due to such poor signal. & I told Virgin they could EFF off since they sent me 'junk' mail almost twice every week for over 12 months despite telling them I was not interested, so they will NEVER get me as a customer (unless they want to provide it for a full year contact genuinely for 'free'). Like that would ever happen.

Blessings & Peace to all

First_Knight