Join now - be part of our community!

USB HDD recording problems

brian.tjensen
Explorer

USB HDD recording problems

Hi,

I have just recently bought a 55XD8005 TV, and I am not able to get the USB HDD recording to work properly. 

The TV is updated with the newest firmware and Androide version.

I have tried with a WD 2.5" 1TB external HDD, but the TV can not recognise the HDD when it is connected to the USB HDD port on the TV. When connect the HDD to one of the other USB ports the TV has no problem of recognising the HDD, and it is able to play photos and videos from the HDD. Only when it is connceted to the USB HDD port (USB port 3), it can not be recognised.

Then I have also tried with a 128GB USB flash stick, and at first the TV was able to recognise it, and the recording was also working fine. But then I disconnected the USB stick to test the HDD again. Then when I connected the USB stick back again, the TV could not recognise it, and thereby not able to record or see the content I have recorded before.

Both the HDD and USB stick has been formated to NTFS on a Windows 10 PC.

Is there a bug in this TV's USB recording function ? or is there only a limited types of USB HDD that are supported by the TV ?

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

What do you mean by not recognized? Di dyou try to register the HDD for recording and it failed? 

In any case assuming you are doing the right procedure try rebooting the TV (press poweroff for as long as the TV reboot)

brian.tjensen
Explorer

By not recognized, I mean nothing happens when plug the HDD in the USB port, and I am not able to register the HDD for recording, it says nothing is found on the USB port.

The strange thing is, this is only for USB port 3, which is used for the HDD recording.

If I plug the HDD in port 1 or 2 on the TV, it straight away pops up where I can choose to see content as photo or video or register the HDD as additional storage space. 

Mygglo29
Explorer

@rooobb wrote:

What do you mean by not recognized? Di dyou try to register the HDD for recording and it failed? 

In any case assuming you are doing the right procedure try rebooting the TV (press poweroff for as long as the TV reboot)

I am about to buy a HD for recording.

How about compatibility ?

Do you recommend any specific brand or specific HD ?

Any max size on the HD ?

Does the HD need external power ?

EDIT: I went back and quoted rooobb to avoid missunderstandings.

Mygglo29
Explorer

I read somewhere that it won't work with a SSD disc or USB flash stick.
I have also seen info regarding HD compatibility.
It was only three brands, Sony , Buffalo and I-O Data.
I can't find any of these for sale in EU.

How ever, Sony says this later:
It's possible that HDDs manufactured by other companies may be used, if they meet the following conditions:

IMPORTANT: Sony cannot guarantee the full operability of other manufacturer's HDDs on the TV, and is not responsible or liable for any issues that may occur.

(*EDIT* i went back and found that info, the links are posted below)

Quick info from the links below:

• Unfortunately, a USB memory stick or USB SSD cannot be used for recording.

• Power supply: We recommend HDDs that use an external power supply.

• Check the following.
    Reconnect the USB cable, and make sure that the BRAVIA TV and the mobile device are securely connected.
    Check whether the USB cable supports data transfers. USB cables that are intended exclusively for charging cannot be used.
    If the mobile device is using MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), it cannot be recognised.
    Change the settings on your mobile device to either MSC (Mass Storage Class) or PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol).

• If your BRAVIA television is a 2014,

or newer, model, the maximum file size supported are as follows:

File System

Max File Size

Max hard drive size

FAT16

2 GB

Not supported

FAT32

4 GB

2 TB

exFAT

16 TB

16 TB

NTFS

16 TB

16 TB

NOTE: Sony cannot ensure the compatibility between BRAVIA and non-Sony USB device.

brian.tjensen
Explorer

I have not been able to find any information about which HDD or USB stick that are compatibly or not.

Only information I got from the TV, saying it need to minimum 32 GB. 

Mygglo29
Explorer

@brian.tjensen wrote:

I have not been able to find any information about which HDD or USB stick that are compatibly or not.

Only information I got from the TV, saying it need to minimum 32 GB. 

Hi Brian !

My question was not really ment for you , but thanks !

I replied to Rooobb's reply and thought it would be nested under that ?

But i did some digging myself, see some posts up.

I hope it helps.

Moski

brian.tjensen
Explorer

Thank you for the information.

But I am very surprised that only so few HDD are supported for recording, can that really by the truth ? 

It also says that USB stick is not supported, but I was able to make that work one time. Then after disconnected it and connected it, it did not work. It is very confusing....

Mygglo29
Explorer

@brian.tjensen wrote:

Thank you for the information.

But I am very surprised that only so few HDD are supported for recording, can that really by the truth ? 

It also says that USB stick is not supported, but I was able to make that work one time. Then after disconnected it and connected it, it did not work. It is very confusing....

I do think more HD:s are working:

How ever, Sony says this later:
It's possible that HDDs manufactured by other companies may be used.

I am going to get a WD with external power.
Did yours have external power ? (sorry if you wrote this all ready, i can't see the original post from here, typing this)
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@Mygglo29 none will ever guarantee that a specific HDD will work with the TV, but in my experience compatibililty is quite wide (if referring to HDD, USB stick is another matter and even if they could work you have to spend a lot in order to buy one fast enough with a fraction of the space... and be aware that minimum 32GB means 64GB).

Thinks you have to remember:

• HDD should be fast enough (rougly at least 5400 rpm) that is quite basic nowadays
  • it should not need more than 0,5A that is the maximum the TV could give. This requirement should keep the HDD less than 1TB or the HDD should have a separate power

@brian.tjensen did you reboot the TV? your problem is different from compatibility issues