Join now - be part of our community!

kd-43xd8305 usb read only

profile.country.GR.title
ZeroCool7545
Explorer

kd-43xd8305 usb read only

When I connect a usb stick on my tv its read only and I cant write or delete any files.How can I fix it?

Are there any settings to change, is this read only thing normal or it is a bug?

20 REPLIES 20
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Oh come on. Don't make it a state affair. I asked those guys to stop this kind of posting on several occasions. They can do this kind of answering via their pathetic mail support.

It just upsets me that supporters who come here to help people don't know everlasting issues and that nothing ever gets fixed. It is not about being rude, it is about telling the truth. Some people might not like that...

I can only urge people not to buy a Sony TV.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@Owen_G wrote:

We've escalated this issue to our Support team, and we'll be back in touch with an update for you as soon as possible.

When I have first read this I had to refrain myself for replying, because my answer would have been in line with the one of @Kuschelmonschter.

The point is that this issue, among many others with the USB, has been escalated for me already by @Anonymous (we miss ya!!), I have been contacted by Sony support about them and the general answer has been "try a different USB key". After that I spent more than €30 (each) for a couple of Lexar 64GB.

In more detail, this specific issue is caused by the lack of the "hidden file manager" present on mobile phones since Android 6.0. As I discovered and reported nearly a year ago in these very same forums. Without that file manager there is no way to grant to an app the permissions needed to write into an "SD card". I have checked if I could find a workaround via "adb shell" but I have been unsuccessful (although probably it's there).

Thus, as far as I know, the only way for an app to write in a USB key is to have the app writing directly in the folder

/storage/<USB KEY ID>/Android/Data/<app directory>

For example Kodi can write in 

/storage/B7C8-0905/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi

Where "B7C8-0905" is the ID of my  USB key. Simply because Kodi owns that directory.

Now I don't know if Google ever implemented the "hidden file manager" in Android TV or if it has been Sony removing it. In either case the situation is quite disappointing.

profile.country.GB.title
hvalentim

the general answer has been "try a different USB key". 

I have tried with at least 5 different brands, all working fine with other Android devices and with a PC and it did not help.

Sony does no seem to realize that it's not just a matter of not being able to add more memory. It is a situation where trying to add more memory messes the hole system!

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

@hvalentim wrote:

Sony does no seem to realize that it's not just a matter of not being able to add more memory. It is a situation where trying to add more memory messes the hole system!

We know... :weary:

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

hvalentim schrieb:

You are now mixing up problems though...

This thread is about a conventional removable storage being "read only" permanently due to changed permission handling as of Marshmallow.

Your problem is about externel storage being formatted as internal eventually becoming "read only". Needless to say that internal memory becoming "read only" is a major disaster. Adoptable storage is a whole different story which suffers from several severe issues on Sony. It is basically unusable.

profile.country.GB.title
lipsense
Explorer

I have the same problem as you. Currently I have searched for ways to fix but not effective. Did you fix it? If so, please let me know [personal details removed by moderator].

profile.country.GR.title
ZeroCool7545
Explorer

Sony asked me via email for aditional info.I provided them with all the answers.

I am not a guru or a prophet but I have the feeling sony already knows but they dont want to fix it or dont care to fix it.

They havent replied on my email so far and I havent found a workaround to remove read only mode.

profile.country.GR.title
ZeroCool7545
Explorer

Sony replied:

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

In reference to your case, please note that it is currently being investigated and we will be in touch with you once the feedback is available.

In the meantime, could you please confirm that your TV was purchased from and is being used inside the UK?

Looking forward for your reply at your earliest convenience.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Yours sincerely,

Hesham R. Batikh

Now I bought my tv from Greece and live in Greece.I hope this not an excuse to abandon the case.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @ZeroCool7545

It is very, very unlikely that Sony UK Support will be able to deal with this enquiry

as this falls into Sony Greece's territory.

Have you telephoned / contacted the Support in Greece regarding this?

(Not that they will have a solution, but at least it will be logged in that Country.)

Cheers

profile.country.GR.title
ZeroCool7545
Explorer

So,

This is how Sony deals customers?Instead of finding a solution you think of lame excuses to avoid fixing a problem.

The issue here is why usb sticks switch to read only mode and find a solution, not where I bought the tv.Last time I checked we are all EU.

Same on you.I am very disapointed how sony treats customers and how underestimates peoples intelligence.