Join now - be part of our community!

KD -XD9305 - Subtitles and local dimming

profile.country.DK.title
reiche1

KD -XD9305 - Subtitles and local dimming

When watching TV (as in DTV - DVB-T) subtitlesunfortunately seems to affect the brightness of local dimming. I have currently set local dimming to low, but display of subtitles still affects the contrast of a large area around the subtitles. This is not very clever!

Perhaps a smaller size or less bright color of subtitles could help to lower the impact of subtitles? But I can't find any other settings of subtitles other than on/off and language, is this really what is possible?

I would like to select colour or brightness, font-size and position of text. Also details of the subtitles bar would be handy to be able to change.

I'm currently running Android 6.0.1 3865. 

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

MiCal1967 wrote:

You mean that also in Italy most movies are dubbed?

Oh, you can easily say that practically all movies and TV shows are dubbed in Italy! Very few people would go to see them otherwise. But I must honestly say that the quaity of of the dubbing is usually excellent (well, for sure for the blockbusters), they have techniques to "virtually" lip sync as much as possible. It's just that the surrounding audio.. sometime sounds different. The original is usually better.

profile.country.DK.title
reiche1

@Jecht_Sin wrote:

Yeah, thinking better about it, if they are the "old" Teletext subs there is little one can do. Although if those are the subs I remember them coming with a black background when I was in UK (ages ago). In my tests with other subs that alone removed any glowing effect. Is it like that or now things are different? I mean, just curious. And I can't test it much, only few shows have subs in Italy (but when they do it still says they are on page 777 of Teletext - Televideo in Italian). Are the UK subs coming from the same source?

Actually this is Denmark 🙂 The subs here is white on a dark background. A few of them are of the Teletext type, I haven't tried those. So I guess it's bitmaps as from looking up some articles on DVB-T.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

reiche1 wrote:
Actually this is Denmark 🙂 The subs here is white on a dark background. A few of them are of the Teletext type, I haven't tried those. So I guess it's bitmaps as from looking up some articles on DVB-T.

Oh, sorry. That thing about dubbing didn't make much sense indeed! :yahoo:

Still the dark background kills any glowing effect in my TV (a different one, an XD80 without local dimming). I know because the subs were driving me crazy as well, so I went to change the subtitle settings in all apps via web.

I'd love to know what's this thing about glowing on these 4K TVs with big displays. I was watching an YouTube video on my small 22" Bravia in the kitchen and the the black horizontal bars were nearly as black as the frame. Checked it on my XD80 they are.. Dark Gray and bright. And sure there isn't any glowing when changing volume on dark scenes.

Oh, even the audio felt better in the small one. But that's for another topic. :wink:

profile.country.RU.title
staskuz

You can change subtitles as you wish through Settings / System Preferences / Accessibility / Subtitle

However, unfortunately Netflix doesn't use these settings yet.