Join now - be part of our community!

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

All the common UK catchup tv apps appear to be missing for the tv and they cannot be installed from google play store.. spec clearly states YouView support and specifically iPlayer.. surely i cant be the only one that has noticed these are not there?!

215 REPLIES 215
profile.country.GB.title
S44TUH
Explorer

After a software update - I've got the My5 app available...it's not my 1st point of call for entertainment - but something at least...

profile.country.GB.title
GenericUserName

Yeah I've had My5 from the get-go. Granted I only got the TV a week ago and updated it fully when I got it.

Getting My5 is 1/4 of the way however as all 4, ITV hub and iplayer are nowhere to be seen. 2021 is fast running out.

My retailer listed these as features. Hopefully when I talk to them they will offer a solution. Either an extended returns period (into the first 10 days of January 2022) a discount or at worst a dongle that can run these apps. Though since I use an AVR that means I'll either need to run the dongle though the TV and use up an HDMI port or plug into my AVR which means instead of using 1 remote to control catch up TV I need to switch to the AVR, then switch the AVR to the dongle then use the dongle to navigate to the appropriate app. 3 remotes for what I should (according to the spec sheet supplied by the vendor) be able to do with just one remote. Two remotes is already awkward as CEC volume control is less than ideal and I can't use voice commands to reduce volume by x amount, just go down by 1/2dB away from reference level. 

profile.country.GB.title
Sparkyboykeith
Explorer

We have same issue with Sony regarding all missing,  common UK user apps. Retailer has promised us a full refund if this is not sorted by end of Jan 2022

profile.country.GB.title
copyrightimage

Hi Keith,

Thats interesting, do you think that Sony have informed the retail channel that they will miss the deadline of 2021 by a few weeks or do you think it was just the retailer offering on their own bat?

profile.country.GB.title
Umbugnet
Explorer

When the BBC says "click the red button and go to iPlayer...", I wonder if they would care to update that with the qualification "if you have any modern internet connected TV except a Sony Bravia 2021. "

profile.country.GB.title
GenericUserName

As previously stared I'll be going to my retailer. I'll either see if they can make good on their spec sheet which lists all UK terrestrial TV (well freeview these days I remember getting my first free view box and being blown away by the more than 5 channels, though TV changed 10+ years ago with streaming) catch up services.

If they can give me an extended returns period (in writing) that would be good. Or they can compensate for what the TV is lacking with a dongle. Unless Sony is planning to surprise everyone I don't feel that a 2021 update is going to happen. This seems to be a contentious issue and if Sony were really concerned they would comment here saying that an update will DEFINITELY be here in late 2021/early 2022 to fix this issue. The silence is what worries me. Usually if a major update was on the horizon that company advertised the product as coming with a message along the lines of "We are in the process of securing licencing with the companies in question and will get you at least 2 out of the 4 services by the end of December with the rest coming in January 2022"

profile.country.GB.title
JDVJDV
Explorer

I have had this problem with my Sony google TV since the end of June. 

The Sony call centre is not helpful. No manager to speak to and they even put the phone down on me. I spoke to the retailer John Lewis and they were helpful and gave me a £49.99 voucher to buy a dongle which I did however the point still is that Sony has misled its customers on this issue. It is now December 11th nearly six months since I bought the set and the only improvement is my5 being available on an update. As other customers have said you should not have to rely on a 3rd party product to do what should have been done by your TV in the first place. 

Things can go wrong and it has always been my belief that you can judge a company by how it deals with a problem. In the case of Sony they have failed miserably. I doubt after this that I will purchase another Sony product as I do not trust them after this fiasco.

profile.country.GB.title
Pottsy320
Explorer

I was pretty cheesed off with this (77" A80J OLED), especially on such a premium TV.

But....

The A8J has stunning picture quality and the XR processor was they key element to buying this TV. However, the Android TV implementation on this TV is poor. Netflix is fine, Prime struggles with 24.000 FPS, and Plex does not do audio passthrough correctly (no Atmos etc). So I have had to dig out my Nvidia Shield Pro, just to get Plex with good audio. The Nvidia doesn't do 24.000 correctly - for that you need the new Apple TV 4k, but the Apple doesn't do audio passthrough. The Nvidia doesn't do iPlayer at 50 FPS, but you can sideload an old version of the app to get that.

In other words, the Sony, the Nvidia and the Apple all fail. So lobbing iPlayer on the Sony still won't reduce my box count.

If Sony could fix how the Android TV reports available audio to apps like Plex, ensures 24.000/23.976 is handled correctly and does proper 50 FPS iPlayer, then we'd be ok!

profile.country.GB.title
Moanygit
Explorer

Retailer (John Lewis) offering me option of returning for a refund or an Amazon fire stick.

Anyone used the fire stick? Is it any use?

profile.country.GB.title
GenericUserName

@Moanygit  was given one (a firestick lite, 1080p) by my retailer (Curry's PC World) however getting offered it was like pulling teeth. Despite them having in their specifications for the TV that you simply need to be in the UK. I think they had "Some services are coming in 2021" however the "catch up services" listed iplayer, all 4, ITV hub and 5.

Speaking to the manager was like pulling teeth, I asked for an extended returns window into mid January which their manager (he was quite rude) outright refused and said that the TV could only be returned if there was "a fault" and that because its android TV its not a fault as I could use my phone to stream. This went on for about 10 minutes with him basically trying to pick holes in things until finally he said he would get a firestick. He came back with a firestick lite and when I asked if it did 4k his response was "no but most programs on the services requested aren't in 4k"I simply responded with "most but not all" to which he basically told me it was "leave the TV back today or take the firestick" 

I accepted it though made it clear (I was there with a member of family too so two people heard it) that a firestick is a temporary solution though their site clearly has incorrect advertising and I would return in the new year if the TV wasn't updated as that would invalidate their terms of sale.

As for a firestick. You'll get the services you want. The quality of the image will depend on what type of firestick you get and you'll probably be given the cheapest unless your retail manager isn't as aggressive as mine was. Just be sure to not put anything in writing that may in the future invalidate your returns policy if the TV was advertised to come with these services. It would also be wise to download an offline version of the Web page containing retailer's item spec if they list these services and then email the downloaded webpage to yourself in case the Web page is changed in the future. That way you can say that these features were advertised to come out in 2021 when you purchased it.

Using the firestick lite now through my AVR. Picture quality isn't all that great, it's a bit clunky, it does have a voice remote which means navigating menus isn't too difficult. All 4 and ITV hub are stereo only, not 100% sure if that's an all4 thing I could swear they did 5.1 surround last time I used one of the two I got 5.1 though I might be mistaken, the firestick lite does do dolby digital+ 5.1 on Netflix, though you get Netflix with the TV and better sound over eARC so that's not a concern. Can't speak for iplayer, I don't have a TV licence so no iPlayer or live TV for me. The other 4 catch up services are perfectly legal to use so long as you don't watch live (which includes all +1 channels) streaming after something airs is good enough for me and saves me a couple hundred pounds annually. 

In the end its a third remote and a workaround, even if your retailer gives you the best firestick out there. The retail manager I got tried to claim that the TV did support the advertised services because I could cast via my phone. That would be true if the TV came with a phone.

I hope Sony releases the update in 2021. Their customer care and support used to be great, they gave out free games when PSN went down due to a denial of service attack for a few days. That's the customer support I remember.