Join now - be part of our community!

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

All the common UK catchup tv apps appear to be missing for the tv and they cannot be installed from google play store.. spec clearly states YouView support and specifically iPlayer.. surely i cant be the only one that has noticed these are not there?!

215 REPLIES 215
profile.country.GB.title
Ian_m-K

Richer Sounds (where I bought my tv from) have kindly given me £50 as a good will gesture to enable me to buy a firestick. They did initially suggest they'd buy it for me, however I'm happy with this for now. They suggest Sony are already advising 2022 for the licence issues to be resolved!

profile.country.GB.title
joepineapples901
Explorer

@Ian_m-K  Mind if I ask when you purchased yours?.

profile.country.GB.title
Makam57
Explorer

As anyone bought a TV from currys/PC World,  and if so have you got anything off them.

profile.country.GB.title
Ian_m-K

@joepineapples901  June 2021

profile.country.GB.title
joepineapples901
Explorer

Thanks.  Got mine June too (21st)

Was yours from a shop or online?.  Just wondering how best to approach it.

profile.country.GB.title
Trevene

I contacted Curry’s in November to ask if I could return my tv if the catch-up programs were not here by the end of December. I pointed out that my reason for return would be due to it being not as described under the trades and description act when purchased in June. 
Their reply was to wait until the end of December then if still not available contact their store again in January. They did agree with me that it was misleading.

I note with interest that the current description of their Sony TVs are now described as Catch-upTV & 4K streaming with Apple Airplay & Chromecast.
I did a chat on line today with  a Curry’s advisor who informed me that these catch-up programmes are still not available so believe their description is still misleading.

profile.country.GB.title
BNH5247

Same Here

profile.country.GB.title
GenericUserName

@Makam57

II went into the Curry's shop I bought the TV from and spoke to the manager. I pointed out the advertising on their site and asked when the services would be released. He got pretty combative and heated when I asked for an extended returns policy until January 14 2021 (a sensible date as most new year celibrations will be over and things will be back to normal), I bought the TV in black Friday so its hardly like I was asking for a six month extension on their 30 day policy. 

His response was basically "We have the demo model in store, you should have used that to check and tested all the features before burying, you can't return on the premise of an incorrect specification sheet on our website, the TV NEEDS to be FAULTY" I don't think he knew advertising law very well as if you advertise something as having a feature and sell it you are making a false claim. After making a very simple example of "If you bought a car and were told the car will have an engine by the end of the month and it didn't would that be a problem for you?" after that and him doing a bit more back and forth he practically threw the cheapest firestick in store at me. I accepted it but said that it was to tide me over until 2021 when I'll know if the TV has those features or not. I had a family member with me as a witness so it can't be claimed that I took that as compensation which with his attitude I may well need. I've no idea how he got to be a manager, his people skills and ability to have a civil conversation (for example he didn't ask for us to sit and talk things out, he stood and preached that I could just cast to the TV using my phone and tried to argue his way out. Maybe he was having a bad day, but if it were my business and I'd seen him act like that to a customer he would be heavily reprimanded, if it was a repeat occurance he wouldn't have that job any more. He turned what would have been a polite conversation between three people into an argument by being petty and outright ridiculous by saying that I could have just used their demo TV for as long as I wanted, on black Friday, while multiple people were demoing it. Needless to say I'll be avoiding Curry's from now on. 

@Trevene

You seem to have gotten a much more positive outcome and attitude. Maybe I'll speak to them online about the issue if it continues into the new year, which at this point I assume it will.

@All curry's customers

Curry's have changed their specifications and description online now to remove all catch up services. If you purchased before this change and have trouble negotiating a positive outcome I saved an offline copy of their Web page as well as using screen recording software to record their TV specifications before they changed them. The downloaded Web page might not be accepted as that can be altered, however the screen recording includes multiple page refreshes (meaning that any page edits in chrome would be deleted on refreshing) as well as a simple Google search for "what is today's time and date" if you are having issues because of the changes I can put both the recording and the downloaded Web page up on Google drive for you to access and download (Google drive scans for malware in uploaded files though always be cautious and scan any files you download yourself using a good antivirus program) if needed. Just let me know and I'll get both uploaded. 

profile.country.GB.title
fatboyz62

I emailed Sony Customer Services about a definate date for the update, their response was

'With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KD-55A90J, we are glad to inform you that the catchup applications will be available as of 21 December 2021'

Good news at last if its true !

profile.country.GB.title
copyrightimage

Thanks for the update, hope it is true, Sony will retain their reputation if it is true.

I do hope so.