Join now - be part of our community!

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

profile.country.GB.title
Toadio
Explorer

Where are iPlayer and ITV hub apps on new A90J 2021 OLEDs?

All the common UK catchup tv apps appear to be missing for the tv and they cannot be installed from google play store.. spec clearly states YouView support and specifically iPlayer.. surely i cant be the only one that has noticed these are not there?!

215 REPLIES 215
profile.country.GB.title
Kuelmapp
Explorer

Have I missed something here? I wanted iPlayer, more 4 etc and I've been waiting so long and now fobbed off with YouView which I hate. I want separate apps as YouView is dreadful. A pointless interface and so few channels with catch-up TV ????

profile.country.GB.title
Crash_test
Explorer

I've moved the order of the apps so I have iPlayer etc shown on the homescreen and still use the original TV interface. 

profile.country.GB.title
spannerzone

@Kuelmapp - don't you just go to the 'Sony Select' app that should now have appeared and inside there are the actual iplayer, More4 app etc? - I think once you go in there and open the apps they then each get put on the main page.

profile.country.GB.title
Moanygit
Explorer

Apps are in "Sony select" so press centre button on that 

When In there, scroll fully to the left, select "all apps" 

In there, long press on any app to get the option to "move"

You can then put apps on home page

profile.country.GB.title
Rahman
Explorer

Finally after updating to today's latest firmware I now have ITV hub and All 4.

All individual apps too

I have found all the UK catchup apps on Freeview on the TV, under ‘live tv and catchup’ so they come up as part of freeview and apps there, they all work as expected 

image.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Makam57
Explorer

Does anyone know if , play is going to be added to apps. 

profile.country.GB.title
STaylow
Explorer

Just got this response from Sony - 

With reference to your enquiry regarding your XR-65A80J, we are sorry to learn that the Catch up apps are missing.
Please note that these applications are expected to be available on the 21st December 2021. It would be available after installing the latest software update for your TV from the link below:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/oled-tvs-android-a80j_a83j_a84j-series/xr-65a80j/software...
Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.
Thank you for your enquiry.
Yours sincerely,
Ahmed

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
SUPPORT: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en

profile.country.GB.title
Kenbmwman

I went to John Lewis yesterday 27/12/21 and they were able to demonstrate the catchup apps were finally available. 

Might buy one now!

Decided not to buy until they were actually there, as I went through 2 years of aggro with my Panasonic TV for a similar problem and swore I would never buy a TV again unless all its functions could be demonstrated. 

Enjoy!

profile.country.US.title
DwarfieStane
Explorer

This was resolved on Dec 21. The problem is fixed.