Join now - be part of our community!

Why Are you OK with not being able to power off your TV

profile.country.GB.title
docbuut
New

Why Are you OK with not being able to power off your TV

I saying that everyone is ok with it faceciouly I'm certainly not ok with it and right now I have a $4000 tv that will only go into standby. We should at least have the option. I have an Andriod Phone that I can most certainly turn completely off. This set is so buggy and I'm wondering if it would actually turn off if it would fix some of the software issues. But my main problem comes from the receiver sending out signals like an I'm here signal while its in standby to my AVR. My AVR has 2 HDMI Outs. One for my Sony and one for my projector. when this thing send the I'm here or whatever on the hdmi it blanks the screen while I'm watching my a movie on the projector. I know this to be true because if I have the tv and the projector on at the same time. It  plays flawlessly. If I unplug the Hdmi from the Sony the projector plays flawlessly. I even plugged in another brand tv and the projector play flawlessly. The only fix I got from sony is to buy a power strip. On a $4000 tv. I will never purchase another Andriod TV if this is standard for this OS. I have the Sony xbr75x940D

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

You can find an observation of the Sony Android TV standby behavior here.

To summarize it, there is a shallow and a deep sleep state. When you hit the power button on the remote, the TV first enters the shallow sleep state in which only the panel is switched. The CPU and Android keep fully running for a rather long period of time (up to hours). The TV typically consumes 20W in this state. After that, when it finally enters deep sleep state (0.5W), the processor in the TV wakes up every few minutes.

Standby behavior of those TVs is total bogus and it would not surprise me if it upsets the power supply or other components sooner or later.

profile.country.GB.title
pashear1892

If you own a Sony TV you should be glad that it even powers on..  look at lots of posts in here with folks with faulty power on Sony Bravias (me included).

Just hope you never have to deal with support.. my 24hour experience so far has been dire.

I've got a 65" £2300 piece of crap sat in my living room.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Yes, I contacted support once. Total waste of time. And since Sony did not give me a refund, I decided to write my own review and track the bugs, see sony_atv bug tracker.

They better should have given me a refund. I get lots of mail in which people thank me for preventing them from buying Sony or giving them early information in order to return it.

profile.country.GB.title
pashear1892

Thanks, I shall check out your review...  if I only knew the amount of time I would waste with this TV..

I hope they can redeem themselves..  not even one moderator has replied to anything of mine so far..  no ownership of problems whatsoever.

profile.country.GB.title
docbuut
New

This is the exact problem. every time it wakes my receiver thinks a new device is plugged in

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Don't expect this to change. It has been a problem since the very first Sony Android TV. I wrote reviews, I wrote bug reports, they just don't care.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

When I bought the TV i have been quite surprised myself that there isn't an option to fully shutdown it, like in the mobile phones. I also find it annoying because I don't like much the alternative, which is to unplug the power supply. Although it makes some sense, because after a full shutdown the TV takes quite some time to start (still, it should be up to the user to decide, not to Google or Sony).

Said that there should be a couple of workarounds for your situation, but neither is ideal. 

1. Via "adb" on PC (or maybe some apps in the mobile phone) you can issue the command:
    adb connect <IP Address of your TV>
    adb shell reboot -p
  2. You may try to disable the Bravia Sync in the television. Or maybe in your AVR, if it has different options for each HDMI OUT.

1. works for sure with Android 7.0 (I have just tested it on my KD-49XD8099).  And since it is a standard Android command it should work with Android 6 as well. About 2 it's more of a matter of trial and error.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Or get yourself something like that.

However, standby is so messed up on those Sony devices, it really needs fixing. Here you'll find all bugs which are labeled as standby issues.

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi Pashear1892,

I had no idea about these different 'sleep states', as I assumed that no standby light visible meant it was actually off, so thanks to the poster who mentioned the diffetent slerp states, for that info. 🙂

I suppose a physical switch would be required for that just like on my 'iThing' devices, PS3, external speakers etc.

As a UK customer my 'after sales support from Sony' experience (on my new XE83 series 4k TV) has also been quite 'craaaaaap' too.😟, so you are not the only one, with a bad experience.

The 'Support by Sony App' (for iOS) is one of the worst I have ever used.😡😡👊👊👊👊👎👎👎

Unfortunately, they appear to have only ONE (Egyptian) 'customer service call centre' if your device is a TV, for customers calling from the UK 😕

At least I get a call centre in Scotland if I need help with Playstation Network.😐

My (lucky?) brother has just bought TWO 65" A1E OLED TV's. I hope he does not regret it 😟🤞

Best of luck getting a solution that actually works.🙂

First_Knight