Join now - be part of our community!

YOUVIEW DE-CRIPPLER. A FIX YAY!!

YOUVIEW DE-CRIPPLER. A FIX YAY!!

I spoke with Sony Support today. Two items of Good News.

1.  A fix for the disasterous Youview set crippler

2. A help guide for your TV so you can see how to use it (ie, not just the silly set up pamphlet).

OK here goes - as advised straight from the SONY horse's mouth - it worked for me!

1.  To regain my satelite and terrestrial channels without Youview and with the EPGs for both intact, I was told to reset the factory setting via Home/Settings / "Storage and Reset".  I just reset the whole box. It went through a switch off and restart/reboot sequence then I was able to re-setup the digital terrestrial and satellite channels as originally provided.

WARNING.  Later in the process the deadly YouView appears and asks if you want to select it.  There is no option but to click NEXT (clicking BACK just keeps you in the setup loop). After clicking next just keep selecting the options that say no no no.  It is quite persistent in its belief that you probably want it but just keep telling it to go away and it will eventualy stop asking.  Result!!

The only minor issue is that Youview remains as an icon, in the home area, ready to taunt you into installing it again sometime.  KEEP WELL CLEAR!  🙂

2.  The Help Manual

This is unhelpfully called a help manual when what it really is is a guide to what the set does and how to use it.  Just go here and insert you set's model number then select the HTML Help Guide for your set. It tells you how to use the darn thing!  The "User Guide" in pdf format is just the stupind start up pamphlet. Result again!!

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/hub/prd-tvhc-tv

Happy viewing everyone

PA

HAPPY BUNNY. R£TURNED MY USELESS SONY ANDROID TV UNDER CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015. R£SULT=R£FUND!
Tags (1)
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Thanks for the post, but im not too sure i understsnd your issue.  If you wanted the original EPG including satellite channels, it is simpler to disable YouView in the settings and retune the satellite channels vack in, without a full factory reset.

Either way, both works and i am glad that you are happy - thanks for taking the time to post, also about the manuals too.

Cheers

Yes, all good. 

The point you make about simply disabling Youview in the settings and retuning the satellite channels didn't work - three times! The Youview update removed both EPGs leaving only the single channel that I was tuned to actually listed. It also sabotaged the "previous channel"  toggle/button.  The Full Reset overcame all of these issues.  My set is now as fresh as the day it was born once more and Youview free.

Anyway, lets hope this helps all the others out there.

best.

PA

HAPPY BUNNY. R£TURNED MY USELESS SONY ANDROID TV UNDER CONSUMER RIGHTS ACT 2015. R£SULT=R£FUND!
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Publiclyavailable wrote:

Yes, all good. 

The point you make about simply disabling Youview in the settings and retuning the satellite channels didn't work - three times! The Youview update removed both EPGs leaving only the single channel that I was tuned to actually listed. It also sabotaged the "previous channel"  toggle/button.  The Full Reset overcame all of these issues.  My set is now as fresh as the day it was born once more and Youview free.

Anyway, lets hope this helps all the others out there.

best.

PA

I think you just hit one of the many bugs, permanent and transient, that still lurk in the Android software, and your Full Reset cleared the transient one you had.

While I can't speak directly for the satellite software, other users have reported that disabling YouView and retuning the satellite services is enough to restore pre-YouView sanity.

And I can certainly directly confirm that on disabling YouView, I found the Freeview Channel Guide still present and perfectly intact, and it has remained so on several trips out of and back to YouView.

So I would suggest that users disable YouView, via Home/Settings/Channel settings/YouView settings, and then check if their Freeview Guide is intact, and the Previous Channel toggle works; and if so, all they then need should be the satellite retune.

And only if the above fails should the Full Reset be employed. (He says with some feeling, having a page of A4 with all the picture, sound, and what-have-you tweaks that would need to be reinput after such a Full Reset).

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.en_GB.title
helios44
Explorer

The question is though -. why are the Satellite channels not available when YV is enabled ? 

profile.country.GB.title
Penpal1999

Thanks for this information. I will try to disable YouView tonight, and if that does not work, I will do a factory reset.

I cannot explain how angered I am with Sony’s implementation of YouView. So far the problems it has caused are:

• Disable Satellite Ports and Channels (Sony, did you think no-one who purchased your product was using them?)
  • Disable recording to USB drive (Seriously Sony? Why on earth would this be a good thing to do?)
  • Ruin the functionality of the TV remote controls being able to control a TV box (like SKY or Virgin), because YouView hard locks the ‘TV’ and ‘TV Guide’ buttons so that they throw you back into YouView.
  • Limit the voice control functionality of the voice / touch remote. Before YouView update, I was able to say something like “switch to Virgin 113” and “Switch to Sky Sports 1 on Virgin” (I have renamed HDMI-1 as Virgin and that seemed to work fine). The TV would bring up tiles and I was able to select the tile and it would use the IR blaster to turn the Virgin box over to the channel (as the old ERP know I was using a Virgin box). Now all it seems to do is try and find it as a program on YouView.

I know this sound very petty, but I will hold off buying a PS4 until after Christmas now. Just so angry with Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Penpal1999 were you able to record to USB prior to this update? I don't think you could - so how did YouView stop you using a feature that isn't even implemented until Dec 24th?

Regarding the rest of it - this was inconvenient to be sure. But Home/Settings/Channel settings/YouView settings/Disable will get you back where you were before, and your Freeview Channel settings will be intact still, which is more than can be said for the satellite settings, at least, which will need a retune.

But the introduction of YouView, though very clearly botched, is reversible inside 15 minutes or less, and things can go back exactly as they were.

Which may not, admittedly, sound like the most positive of claims, but is at least better than the introduction of YouView being even in the smallest way irreversible.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
Visionman
Explorer

"The question is though -. why are the Satellite channels not available when YV is enabled ?"

There are two possible answers, the first of which is definitive - YouView is a freeview only provider and platform, and don't have a licence to work with satellite services. The second isn't confirmed but is probable - as the YouView platform is installed the satellite platform and EPG is deleted, due to core processing power and memory restrictions. This TV is powerful enough to host two dual platforms (which is impressive in itself) which are the Android base OS and one of Satellite or YouView, but not both. And it states that in the blurb.

profile.country.GB.title
Hargreaves87p
Explorer

I like YouView but I also use satellite reception, as the signal is better. However when I had enabled YouView and tested it, I disabled it and then immediately tuned the satellite channels. (Free ones). Miraculously, YouView still worked when looking at channel information, this included all the YouView listings. However when looking at the guide (by button) only the Freeview guide appeared. Recording and catch up both worked, including ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5. Sattelite also worked.

The best of both worlds!

It would have been but after two days the TV reset itself and the YouView disappeared and so did catch up for ITV C4 and C5..

As Satellite, Freeview, YouView, YouView Catchup and Recording all worked together, for a short time, there must be a software adjustment that can be made to enable this permanently.

Come on Sony engineers, it can be done, I challenge you!

Hargreaves

profile.country.GB.title
longjohn8
Explorer

This is not a fix to the YouView crippling - its just a YouView uninstall/disable.

What we really want is to be able to use YouView and its full catchup facilities to gether with the inbuilt USB recording and Satellite tuner!