Join now - be part of our community!

At a loss of whats happening with my setup since buying a new sony bravia

profile.country.GB.title
osiras
Explorer

At a loss of whats happening with my setup since buying a new sony bravia

Hey everyone, new to the forum and need help from professionals.
If i explain my setup first, it may shine some light.

I have sky q 2tb box

Sony 4k Bravia tv (end of 2017 model)

Sony 7.1 surround sound hdmi amp STR-DN1080

The sony amplifier has dual zones. Main zone is in my lounge, the second zone is in my bedroom.

The main zone works perfectly, but the second zone does not seem to work with sky q. If i run the second zone to display from another hdmi port, say my playstation. its works perfectly, but if set it to source or the sky q box, it works for around 10 minutes, then keeps dropping signal. its not watchable

Now heres the complication, if i unplug the new bravia from the amplifer, its absolutely fine. I did not have this problem with my previous tv which was an LG, but the LG wasnt 4k, but the sky q is set to 1080p output anyway. 
The second TV in the bedroom is a 6 month old LG Full HD.

Understand this seems a little random / complicated, but it is the sky q box that is somehow interfering with something, but only since getting the new Bravia. 

any help would be greatly apprecaited

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It happens that Sky devices interferes with HDMICEC protocols, if this is the case you may want to use an HDMI CECless adapter or cable to connect you SkyQ...

profile.country.GB.title
osiras
Explorer

Hey rooobb.

Tank you for the quick reply!!. Didn’t think it could be something that simple.... (not that i understand what CEC protocol is, but hey) 
Would you recommend i put this at the back of my sky q box? Not the tv end? presumably it will not harm picture /sound quality etc?

Thank you again

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

You can put it wherever you want :wink:

If you are able to do it can be done also manually, it just broke the connection to pin 13 that handle the electric signal for HDMI-CEC (aka braviasync for Sony)

profile.country.GB.title
osiras
Explorer

Awesome. Thank you so much. 

profile.country.GB.title
osiras
Explorer

Hey Rooobb,

me again, sorry. I bought an adaptor, but alas it doesn't work, same problem. I tried it on the back of the lounge tv, sky q box, and the back of the upstairs tv. No difference.

any thoughts? 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

The other problem you may have is that probably you are using a very long hdmi cable in your setup, and this could lead in a signal degradation unless the cable is a very expensive one....

profile.country.GB.title
osiras
Explorer

Hey, 

that is a good suggestion except, wouldn’t the problem happen all the time? Not just when the Bravia is turned off? 

also, everything worked ok before I upgraded to the Sony. I had an older LG before and never had the problem. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Probably but I am guessing you are also stressing more the connection with an higher bandwidth/resolution with your new tv...
profile.country.GB.title
osiras
Explorer

You would like to think so :grin:  

alas im not. Sky q box is set to 1080p output. The only 4k viewing I have at the moment is from the PS4. If I play the playststation in the bedroom, the Sony amplifier will defaults back to 1080 and the PlayStation adjusts fine. 

It literally is the sky q that’s causing this annoying issue. 

(I Appreciate you keep trying to help!)