Join now - be part of our community!

BDV-NF720 Firmware Update Failed. Looking For Solutions.

mamorek
New

BDV-NF720 Firmware Update Failed. Looking For Solutions.

Yesterday, after a few weeks without connecting my BDV-NF720 Home Theater unit to the Internet (had to shange the SSID on my WIFI router), I decided to connect it again, and update the firmware to vM13.R.0500.

During an update, I've noticed that the installation skipped a few steps, and when it finalised I turned the power back on (as the unit powers itself off after the update is complete) and was greeted by a blank screen in a 576i resolution, no error, no menu and the unit was unresponsive to any buttons (all the buttons and the "breathing light" were fading in and out slowly), except for "power" on both, the main unit and remote.

The LCD display was still saying "BD/DVD" with a "muted" icon, nothing else.

Emergency disc release gave no budge (hold "play" and "eject" for 5 secs), and the standard "power off, unplug for a few mins" did not work either. I suspect a firmware update failed and now my unit became "broken".

The support site says I can only update via network or a CD disc, but I can't even eject a disc that's inside the unit. I've emailed Sony UK support team, but I had no response.

I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction and tell me what else I can do myself to reflash the firmware? Maybe there's a secret Sony or a third-party firmware flashing software, or maybe a USB Flash Drive update method Sony doesn't mention on the support pages?

Could anyone with the right knowledge please chime in with your suggestions?

PS. My unit is about 8-10 month out of warranty already.

1 REPLY 1
nikkakog

Hi,

Take out the power for some time and put it again ,i assume that you have done this already, try also this take out power and connect again immediately ,if nothing happened contact your nearest Sony service ,i dont think that they will charge you much to reflashing the unit ..

Good luck