Join now - be part of our community!

Blu-ray Disc / DVD Player with a monitor

SOLVED
toriu27
Explorer

Blu-ray Disc / DVD Player with a monitor

At the moment my 86 year old neighbour is using a laptop to view movies which keep sticking, etc. As she doesn't care to have a TV, I suggested she get a Blu-ray Disc / DVD Player, (The same as I have) and use it with a monitor. This way she would be able to watch BBC I Player etc. Is this doable or will she need a TV ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As long as ONE device has the "Smart" features which includes iPlayer/5OD etc, you will be able to use them, no problems. 

For example:

If you have a "dumb" tv, but have a "smart" bluray player, you will be able to access the internet content via the bluray player.

Cheers

View solution in original post

toriu27
Explorer

OK, thanks, this is what we will do.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Let me try and offer some guidance. Trying to get it working with a monitor may be tricky as the copy protection on Blu-ray's is pretty solid, so if trying to play back on a monitor that doesn't offer HDMI in & HDCP copy protection, it basically won't work. Plus I'm guessing the monitor won't have speakers either, which would make it more fiddly. So there is no easy solution.

There are 3 options as I see it

1. - Something like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007PZPH4M/ref=s9_hps_bw_g23_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=me... Potable DVD player. Self contained and will provide good quality playback. At this screen side, I'm not sure you would see any benefit of Blu-ray over DVD, so DVD is fine. This is also a one hit solution so would be super easy to operate, need no extra accessories and has the benefit of being having a battery & being mobile so your neighbour could watch in any room in the house etc. You would not get iPlayer though so depends how important that is

2. Go down the route of a TV (+ optional subscription to Netflix or Lovefilm) This would give you iPlayer as well by default. Is there any need for a DVD player? I guess depends if she has an Internet connection??

3. Newer laptop..

Hope this helps

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Firstly, its great to see an 86year old using technology, as my grandad refuses to watch anything other than channels 1-4 on freeview and not before 6pm either.

Secondly, you need to consider the following 

• Monitor needs a HDMI input and be able to support HDCP
  • Able to display resolutions upto 1080p @50/60hz 
  • Speakers to consider, may need an optical input connection somewhere

A couiple of other suggestions:

• Replace the optical drive in the laptop
  • Purchase a Portable DVD player
  • Re-iterate that your neighbour is exempt from the BBC tax (read TV License) and TV/Bluray player is an all-round better viewing experience.

Cheers

Edit: Beat me too it :slight_smile:

toriu27
Explorer

Thanks for your relpy. Option 1. I did consider this but we decided against it as the screen size is smaller than the laptop she has at the moment.

Option 2. This maybe.

Option3. The one she has now is fine except for the DVD player installed in it.

The Blu-ray Disc / DVD Player BDP-S383 that I own has the ability to give me BBC iPlayer and a bunch of others. It is connected to a Sony Bravia TV as normal and to the internet via the router.

She has an internet connection.

I assumed all the copy protection would be taken care of with the above player.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Done a bit more digging.  Searching for "Monitor with speakers" on Amazon brings up many products.  Ill use the first example:

BenQ GL2450HM : HERE

Looking at the specs, it says its got HDMI, HDCP Support etc etc.

Going to the product website : HERE brings me this useful bit of information:

Monitor.jpg

So from that, I cannot see why it wouldnt work.  Add a Sony Smart Bluray player to the monitor (with speakers) via HDMI - and bobs your uncle.

However, I would advise purchasing whatever you decide online, because you have the 7 day distance selling regulations if it all goes pair-shapped.

Cheers

toriu27
Explorer

That is very kind of you Quinnicus, I will investigate your diggings tomorrow, off to bed now, its 3am now in London.

toriu27
Explorer

We have decided to get the Sony Blue-ray Disc/DVD Player BDP-S383 and connect it to a 24"Sony TV.
Unlike my own set up which has the ability to receive BBC iPlayer via the BDP-S383 and
The Sony Bravia TV, which I'm told is not necessary (To have both) we will only need an un-smart TV. Maybe somebody can confirm this?

Thanks again for your help.

Regards

Ray  

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As long as ONE device has the "Smart" features which includes iPlayer/5OD etc, you will be able to use them, no problems. 

For example:

If you have a "dumb" tv, but have a "smart" bluray player, you will be able to access the internet content via the bluray player.

Cheers

toriu27
Explorer

OK, thanks, this is what we will do.