Join now - be part of our community!

Need advise on a RDR-HXD Compatible with my Sony Bravia KDL 40D TV

profile.country.GB.title
doharve93
New

Need advise on a RDR-HXD Compatible with my Sony Bravia KDL 40D TV

I currently have a Panasonic DVD Recorder that is giving trouble. I would like to replace it with a Sony model.

Do Sony only produce recorders (with no provision for playing DVDs) or am I simply unable to see what I want on the web site.

I can see any number of (for example) such things as Sony RDR-HDX870 - DVD Recorders with 160GB hard drive; used items;  on the internet, but nothing new.

Can someone advise me as to what is the latest equivalent machine produced by Sony - if there is one?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I am sorry but there is not such a product anymore at least in Europe. Sony still produce bd recorder but only for Japan.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

The old RDR-HXD870/970/1070 models have been among the best gear Sony ever produced imo.

If you can get a good one... and there are supposed 'as new' offerings out there... then it could be a worthwhile choice. Bear in mind that any such offerings may need the firmware updating, which is straightforward and available on this site, and that the above models can all have the HDD increased to a maximum of 1Tb. HDD swap requires use of the service remote (just two button presses to perform the operation) and 3rd party remotes are available for relatievly little money.

If Sony produced something as flexible as these old timers then I would buy one today, but as rooob says, they don't. So I'm sticking with my 870 and 1Tb drive.

profile.country.GB.title
doharve93
New

Thanks for coming back. Just cannot understand why Sony has pulled out of this range.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Because no one is going to buy it i guess.  Being an owner of a 10 years old rdrhxd870 myself i still really appreciate what can be done on it. But most people Just use pvr basic feature on smart tvs