Join now - be part of our community!

New BDP-S1100 won't play DVDs

SOLVED
pommieb
Explorer

New BDP-S1100 won't play DVDs

I just bought a new BDP-S1100 from Tesco's. The networking side of it works fine, but it won't play any of my DVDs, giving me the message 'Can't operate this disc' for all of them. I only have old-style DVDs and no blurays - the BDP-S1100 advertises itself as a 'Blu-ray Disc/DVD player' so I thought it should play my DVDs ok. They are standard commercial DVDs (Game of Thrones, Despicable Me, etc), mostly marked as region 2 which is the same as the player.

I've tried powering on and off, and restoring the factory settings, but neither made any difference.

Anything else I could try?  I bought the Sony in preference to other makes because it seemed to get more positive reviews, but people don't seem to be saying much one way or another about this particular model - if I take this one back to Tescos is it worth my while asking for a replacement, or would I be better off trying another make?

Thanks

Graham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I can confirm that this model should be able to play both bluray's and DVD's.

It sounds like its faulty, definately get it exchanged.

Good Luck

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Short of swapping the Bluray player for another one (for the price-point, this is an excellent player by the way), can you try doing a network update on the player - as you have stated that its connected to the network.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/BDP-S1100/downloads/network-update

Cheers

pommieb
Explorer

I'd already updated - just to be sure, I retried - it now says 'connecting to the network' and then 'already updated', though it doesn't tell me which version it is on.

To confirm: am I right to think that this model should play DVDs as well as blu-rays? If so, then I will take it back to Tesco and get a replacement.

Graham

pommieb
Explorer

Found the firmware version: M14.R.0163

G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I can confirm that this model should be able to play both bluray's and DVD's.

It sounds like its faulty, definately get it exchanged.

Good Luck

Cheers

pommieb
Explorer

Will do, thanks for the confirmation. I'll report back to this thread and mark solved if the next one is ok!

pommieb
Explorer

You were right - it was faulty. Tesco replaced it with no quibbling at all and the new one plays dvd, bluray and from internet with no problems.

Now my only problem is my stack of non-UK DVDs, but I'll start another thread about that one

Thanks for your advice and reassurance!

Graham.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant - Im glad its working, thanks for reporting back.