Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 1040 Set Up COMPLETE NOVICE

SOLVED

Sony 1040 Set Up COMPLETE NOVICE

Hi All,

I have read the manual, and I think I have set everything up.  I have:

Sony 1040 Amp

Samsung LED TV (not smart TV, few years old now)

Sky HD (Box was issued Jan 2013)

PS3 (Slim version)

I have connected everything as follows:

Sky HD - HDMI to Receiver

PS3 - HDMI to Receiver

Receiver - HDMI to TV

I have used the slots that are labelled at the back etc, run the calibration, and I think it is all set up.

For completeness I am using Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 speaker system.

I THINK I am getting a good sound, certainly from Blu Rays played through my PS3.  When playing Sky HD, I notice a lot of the input is only 2.0.  Is this because I have not set something up properly or just because the shows are not filmed in 2.1/5.1 etc?

Can anyone suggest any changes to this set up that will improve things?  I see reference to using Optical out - I have one of these cables but I am not sure where it is best deployed (if at all).

As I say, complete novice (but fortunate to have a good system) - I am just after guidance as to how to get the best out of it!!

THANK YOU

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the PS3 should already output surround sound.  To check, goto the sound settings, and ensure that you have ticks against 5.1 etc.

If you have connected it directly to the AV Receiver, set the PS3 to output audio via Bitstream and not LPCM.

Cheers

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

You seem to have set it up very well indeed. 

A couple of things to suggest though:

• As you have run the calibration mode, double check that the speaker distances manually, as it doesnt always get it right. 
  • Ensure that your speakers are set to small (if using an external sub and not built into the speakers)
  • Set the individual speaker volume level.  Meaning if you are closer to one speaker than the other, adjust the level so that you get an even sound level.

In regards to Sky and using 2.0 - this is normal as many shows arent in 5.1.  Best way to test is to watch a movie on the HD channels.

For me, for most of my viewing (in 2.0/2.1) I use the sound field as : Multi Stereo.  Other than that its A.F.D.  When watching a movie, I turn on Sound Optimiser (brings the movies to life).

Hope that helps.

That's really useful, thank you.  I have tended to use HD DCS for normal viewing, rather than AFD.

So I don't need to worry about the Optical cable to enhance things?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Optical vs HDMI for audio = no difference (as both are digital)

glowworm
Explorer

Have you  SKY settings for SOUND set  Audio ON HDMI for Dolby Digital. ?

I have indeed.

Do I need to do anything specific to get surround sound out of my ps3?
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the PS3 should already output surround sound.  To check, goto the sound settings, and ensure that you have ticks against 5.1 etc.

If you have connected it directly to the AV Receiver, set the PS3 to output audio via Bitstream and not LPCM.

Cheers