Join now - be part of our community!

Sony DBV-N590 wont play MKV's Help!

SOLVED
saraellis
New

Sony DBV-N590 wont play MKV's Help!

So I bought the above as it specifically said it would play MKV's.  I have over 150 videos on a buffallo linkstation that I have converted using makemkv which took some time!!  This is because my son is autistic and obessed with movies and kept scratching them.  He has a Western Digital Live box and they all play fine throught there.  However only a few play on the new sony system I bought.  I am on latest firmware.  Any ideas before I recreate them all!!! Please help!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Even though you have MKV's, they are what you call a container.  Inside that container is the codecs for video and audio (see HERE for details).  Looking on page 52 of the manual  HERE, some codecs cannot be played via DLNA. 

You will need to convert the codecs in the MKV file using the MPEG-4 codec instead (as i believe that should work).  Do it on one, as a test to see if it works. 

A suggested program is called Handbrake : HERE

If that works, you can set the program to convert the files in batches (of which I do over-night)

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Even though you have MKV's, they are what you call a container.  Inside that container is the codecs for video and audio (see HERE for details).  Looking on page 52 of the manual  HERE, some codecs cannot be played via DLNA. 

You will need to convert the codecs in the MKV file using the MPEG-4 codec instead (as i believe that should work).  Do it on one, as a test to see if it works. 

A suggested program is called Handbrake : HERE

If that works, you can set the program to convert the files in batches (of which I do over-night)

Hope that helps.