Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HT-CT260H Sound Bar, Sky HD and PS3

SOLVED
shmack
Explorer

Sony HT-CT260H Sound Bar, Sky HD and PS3

Hi,

I have just purchased the new Sony HT-CT260H Sound Bar and am having trouble setting it up.

Here is my setup. I have:

- Sony Bravia W805 (47")

- Sony PS3

- Sony HT-CT260H Sound Bar

- Sky HD

I have HDMI cables going from the Sky box as well as my PS3 to the Sony Bravia W805. I also have an HDMI cable from the TV connected to the HDMI (ARC) of the Sound Bar.

My thinking was that - with a setup as described above - all will play together just fine. But it doesn't. The only way I achieve sound on the Sound Bar is when I connect an optical cable from either the PS3 or the Sky box. Either, because the Sound Bar only has one optical input. This is obviously not ideal and I am considering to return the Sound Bar altogether.

Is there any way to use all of the devices above without the need to go the optical cable route? After all, all devices are connected via HDMI with the Bravia acting as the "hub" that interconnects all devices?

Why is this not working? I believe I have a fairly common setup i.e. TV, Console, Cable TV box. Has Sony not taken this kind of setup into consideration or am I missing something really obvious. I really hope I do.

Many thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It should work, but ensure it's setup as follows :

• Soundbar > HDMI > ARC on TV (HDMI1) (Instructions)
  • PS3 > HDMI > TV
  • Sky > HDMI > TV

1. Set the TV to output audio externally - As per instructions above
  2. Set TV's Digital Audio Output to AUTO - Instructions
  3. Turn on Bravia Sync on TV and Soundbar
  4. Set the PS3 to output audio via bitstream
  5. Check your sky box HDMI and Audio settings to see if they are correct.

I cannot think of a reason why it didnt work for you, all I can suggest is try again, and ensure settings are correct.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

It should work, but ensure it's setup as follows :

• Soundbar > HDMI > ARC on TV (HDMI1) (Instructions)
  • PS3 > HDMI > TV
  • Sky > HDMI > TV

1. Set the TV to output audio externally - As per instructions above
  2. Set TV's Digital Audio Output to AUTO - Instructions
  3. Turn on Bravia Sync on TV and Soundbar
  4. Set the PS3 to output audio via bitstream
  5. Check your sky box HDMI and Audio settings to see if they are correct.

I cannot think of a reason why it didnt work for you, all I can suggest is try again, and ensure settings are correct.

Hope that helps

shmack
Explorer

It WORKED!

All the connections and settings were correct but one silly mistake. While the HDMI was in the right slot (ARC) on the soundbar, it went into HDMI 2, not HDMI 1 (ARC) on the TV. I've just completely removed the optical cable and everything works as it should. It's a shame the user's guide doesn't clearly point out that it's very important to use HDMI 1 as it's the only port that supports ARC.

Thank you very much for your help! I''m definitely keeping the sound bar - it produces awesome cinematic sound. Perfect for movies and gaming.

Now I just need to figure out how to reduce 3 remotes to only one. Suggestions welcome. :slight_smile:

profile.country.fi_FI.title
oslaine35
New

Hi

I have HT-CT260H soundbar, KDL-46HX723 and PS3. I need only one remote, but if I want to change settings, like sound field, i need soundbar own remote.

Why you don't but universal remote, which shold have IR for Sony TV, soundbar and sky box? PS3 is then controlled via TV. Buy control that have normal buttons like numbers CH+/-,Volume, Input change and also have buttons for sync where you could open PS3.

Also about configuration, I ha dsmall problem that soundbar went to optical eventhough front panal in soundbar showed TV (HDMI). Problem was that setting AMP Menu->Audio->TV Audio was optical rather than TV (HDMI). I had changed this to TV (HDMI), but maybe missed something. Anyway now it works i.e. when I turn TV on (from power off or standby), soundbar open and TV outputs audio to it.

Ossi