Join now - be part of our community!

Sony SVR HDT500

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jackierichards
Visitor

Sony SVR HDT500

Hi

Just purchased this a couple of days ago. Was previously using a DVD recorder to record anything on my Freeview TV. Have always had a good signal for Digital but now I have a problem with playing back anything I record on the SVR HDT500. The signal is still good when I just watch TV it is only when I watch back a recording. The picture is shaky and jerking, it sticks and flicks from the picture of the programme to a blue screen saying no signal then flicks back to the programme again, this can happen up to 10 times in a half hour show !

I'm totally at a loss as to whats causing this, obviously it can't be the signal as it only happens on recordings. Please can anyone help ?

70 REPLIES 70
profile.country.GB.title
mb1357
Explorer

I reckon this is a good idea and something seems to be going wrong OTA

I have a replacement machine coming tomorrow and will disable the AUTO option

If it doesn't still work properly Sony can have the thing back for a refund as considering what they cost it just isn't good enough

PS it is also too noisy

Re Auto Update; would disabling this feature not just affect the updating of the Channel List and have no bearing on disabling any OTA software updates real or imaginary?

Message was edited by: mb1357

Message was edited by: mb1357

suggs71
New

I have also been suffering the same symptons. I purchased my unit on the 7th May this year and it all worked perfectly until recently when things have gone badly downhill. Various recording problems, picture freezing, lip sync, no or severely delayed reaction to the remote etc.

I would strongly suggest that Sony urgently return the software level to the original version until the update has been fully proven and not release untested software to the customers.

I'm going to give it another couple of weeks, and if it's not resolved then it's going back.

Ayates45
Visitor

Hi,

I have the 1TB version of the freeview HD box (HDT1000?). I noticed the other morning that the box was receiving an update (coincidently). Last night I was watching something that I had watched last week without any issues but I had the same problems. Jerky picture, sound out of sync. I was a bit naughty in that i powered it off completely for 5 mins. When I switched on again it was fine.

I was thinking that I would have to return the unit to JL where I bought it but it sounds like the update has caused this problem.

I am hopeful that the Sony techies will find the glitch and issue a patch as soon as possible.

All my TV gear is Sony and this is the first time I have experienced any problems with any of it.:smileyplain:

profile.country.GB.title
mb1357
Explorer

This box is basically just a re-badged Digital stream product. Sony are no different in that they use components sourced from the same place ie LED screen same as Samsung etc

Sadly the days of Japanese manufactured Sony products are long gone

Sony-Tech
Explorer

Our investigation have identified that the issue affecting the SVR-HDT500 and 1000 is caused by changes  to the Over Air Downloads on the HD MUX. As a temporary measure the scheduled OAD's have been suspended while we continue to investigate this issue.  With the OAD's suspended this should prevent further issues for customers.

I will update this forum when we have further information

suggs71
New

Thanks for that information.

So I guess the firmware in our boxes is still as it was originally (and should still work), the problems are coming when it spends time trying to upgrade itself (and failing) with incorrect information.

I can see how the turning it off overnight works, but half the point of a box is that you can press record and go to bed! :slight_smile:

Message was edited by: suggs71

Message was edited by: suggs71

Ptolomy
Explorer

We've been having problems too for the last few days. So I checked on here and tried to do the Disk Repair. It didn't seem to do anything at the time and it hasn't stopped the Disk Error message coming up.

It has wiped all our recordings though. Not very amused.

profile.country.GB.title
revneil
New

Would a safer route to avoid the machine even trying to update be to change the update method from Over the Air to USB as per page 38 of the manual?

My second question is will the problems seemingly being identified also affect other Sony products such as my new Blue ray player, S580?

Silly me!  The Blue Ray player cannot be affected as it is not got an aerial!!!  It's updates are over the Internet.

As for my idea of switching to USB updates for the Recorder - I tried it but the machine just said -no USB connected and recerted to Over the Air!  So I do not hink this is an option unless Sony know better?  Sony, can you help/advise?

Message was edited by: revneil

Message was edited by: revneil

jockanroll
Visitor

I don't think page 38 is of any help since this is just an option. It will still try to update overnight.

I have the same problem which started 2 days ago when the box was switching it self on and off in the morning probably because of an aborted update overnight. I powered if off and the problem went away. Now every day I have to do this since I am getting the juddering picture on play back. I've just done a repair disk and nothing was lost.

I usually leave the box on all the time but I'm going to switch off tonight. Maybe, Sony have stopped the update anyway now?

I have had other problems whereby there have been duplicate channels and sometimes it won't power off.

Sony need to fix this soon or I'm asking for my money back.

iamlono
Visitor

Same issue here.  Seemed to start early this week - Disk Repair seems to work for the time being.