Join now - be part of our community!

Sony SVR HDT500

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jackierichards
Visitor

Sony SVR HDT500

Hi

Just purchased this a couple of days ago. Was previously using a DVD recorder to record anything on my Freeview TV. Have always had a good signal for Digital but now I have a problem with playing back anything I record on the SVR HDT500. The signal is still good when I just watch TV it is only when I watch back a recording. The picture is shaky and jerking, it sticks and flicks from the picture of the programme to a blue screen saying no signal then flicks back to the programme again, this can happen up to 10 times in a half hour show !

I'm totally at a loss as to whats causing this, obviously it can't be the signal as it only happens on recordings. Please can anyone help ?

70 REPLIES 70
necartw17
Visitor

Same issue here.  I have had the box a couple of weeks and almost immediately started having issues.  Everything I have recorded using this box has this issue.  if I had not found this thread the box would be going back as faulty tomorrow.  I will wait a short time to see if the issue is corrected otherwise it will be returned and replaced with something that works.  I bought this to be fully integrated with my new Sony TV but at present my Panasonic DVDR recorder works better with the TV!

Neil

jockanroll
Visitor

Just another point - switch off the Bravia Sync option. When is was on with my HX803, I had more problems like it would take ages to switch off. Also, it would freeze (no buttons working) and I had to power it off.

With Sync on, you can't adjust the picture with options button on the TV remote.

profile.country.GB.title
mb1357
Explorer

Mr Sony-Tech can you kindly confirm that only OTA downloads made by Sony are the issue here as another member seems to have had contrasting information via a Sony Centre relating to OTA's from other manufacturers which I personally find unlikely??

Also should we turn off the Auto update function as a precaution or is this just for TV channel listing updates

Many thanks

Message was edited by: mb1357

Message was edited by: mb1357

profile.country.GB.title
Simon23
Explorer

Same issues with my SVR-HDT1000.

Worked perfectly for a few weeks from new then noticed problems that are getting worse making device unusable:

• Noisy hard disk
  • Device turning itself on and off repeatedly early mornings
  • Picture and sound way out of sync on live TV
  • Jittery picture at all times
  • Intermittent blank screen during playback
  • Long pauses during instant replay/advance fast reverse/forward

Repair disk has no effect.

SW version 4.10.r7993

Can previous software version be issued as OAD?

profile.country.GB.title
Simon23
Explorer

Another thought...

Can previous software version be provided as download or e-mail then copied to USB drive and software update from USB?

jockanroll
Visitor

Yes, I've had all these problems. The noisy hard disk is probably the fan?

The SW version has always been 4.10.r7993 for me and I got box in February so I don't think there is a previous one.

The only current solution is to switch off at night or reset the box.

I think that it is a badged Digital Stream DHR8206U 1000GB Freeview+ HD Twin Tuner PVR

and the update is meant for this box and not the Sony clone which is screwing it up?

profile.country.GB.title
Judgement
New

There have been no OTA updates for the DigitalStream boxes.

profile.country.GB.title
Simon23
Explorer

Disaster, I just tried 'Repair Disk' again and lost all my recordings - HDD (Empty).

Now I get the following message on start:

[Data Error Occurred. Try 'Repair Disk' or 'Format Disk']

Now, when I try 'Repair Disk' nothing happens.

Any ideas how to salvage my recordings or get my device working?

Is it time to return my SVR-HDT1000 to Sony for a refund?

profile.country.GB.title
gordlow
Explorer

Sorry, once the programmes have gone, that's it. Same happened to me last night. From reading this and other forums it looks like to most recently recorded programmes would have been badly affected by the update fault anyway.

You should find that by formatting your disk the box goes back to normal. If not use the factory reset option from the menu or on the front of the box (under the tab on the rihgt).

Incidentally, does anyone know why a whopping 50GB is set aside on the box for system use? Seems a bit over the top to me.

profile.country.GB.title
Simon23
Explorer

'Format Disk' has fixed all the issues and my device is now working normally.

I'm really annoyed about losing all my recordings but concerned that there might be a repeat of this episode unless there is a software update from Sony.