Join now - be part of our community!

TA-AN1000 No Subwoofer

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
PaulRB
Explorer

TA-AN1000 No Subwoofer

I have recently upgraded from a 20-year old STR-DB1070 to a new TA-AN1000.

I don't have a subwoofer, so on the STR-DB1070, I used this feature:

Screenshot_20240406-101330-560.png

Because my front speakers are quite large (Avance Alpha 220), this worked well for me and I could feel those low frequency effects vibrating my chest & stomach, furniture etc.

I'm now trying to achieve the same thing with my new TA-AN1000 but I can't seem to find the right settings. I've checked the manual and performed the calibration with the microphones. I have set the speaker arrangement to 5.0 and the front speakers to Large, but although the sound is great, I don't feel those low frequency effects like I used to.

Can anyone please advise? Is this feature not available on TA-AN1000? Must I now buy a subwoofer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

The LFE channel signal shouldn't be routed to any channel/speaker except for subwoofers as it only contains sub/low frequencies which most normal front/rear speaker won't be able to handle.

When you're using a sound field with a subwoofer, the amplifier tends to route the LFE channel to the subwoofer and cut some low frequencies from all other channels/speakers to not to interfere with the low frequencies coming out of the subwoofer

But, when you use a sound field that doesn't have a subwoofer on its setup, the amplifier won't cut off low frequencies that are meant to be on all channels (except for the LFE channel) and this will make bass frequencies more hearable on your front/rear speakers

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

Hey,

Did you try changing Sound Fields? There are sound fields that don't include a subwoofer in their setup.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ha/strtaan10/v1/en/contents/TP1000550407.html

profile.country.GB.title
PaulRB
Explorer

Hi, thanks for responding. 

I have been using "AFD", so the LFE channel should be working, I think. 

I will try the other sound fields to see what difference that makes. 

Since I posted this question, I have been told that modern AV amplifiers no longer redirect LFE channel to other speakers because of the danger of damaging the speakers. What do you think of that?

profile.country.GB.title
TheMaze
Community Team

The LFE channel signal shouldn't be routed to any channel/speaker except for subwoofers as it only contains sub/low frequencies which most normal front/rear speaker won't be able to handle.

When you're using a sound field with a subwoofer, the amplifier tends to route the LFE channel to the subwoofer and cut some low frequencies from all other channels/speakers to not to interfere with the low frequencies coming out of the subwoofer

But, when you use a sound field that doesn't have a subwoofer on its setup, the amplifier won't cut off low frequencies that are meant to be on all channels (except for the LFE channel) and this will make bass frequencies more hearable on your front/rear speakers