Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to stream from DLNA certified hard drive. Help!

kerripace
New

Unable to stream from DLNA certified hard drive. Help!

I have identical video files located in three places: 1) a Seagate Central external hard drive, 2) a Lenovo computer hard drive, 3) Kingston thumbdrive. I have two Sony Blueray players, model # BDP S390. The Sony players are DLNA certified, and I have DLNA services enabled on the Seagate Central.

I cannot stream from the Central to the Sony. The Sony players see the drive, see the files, but will not play the files. I get an error that says "File corrupt or unsupported". One thing I noticed is that the Sony players seems to think everything on the Central is an MPEG file. The files are actually AVI files, but the Sony thinks they're MPEG, displays them as MPEG. This only happens when the Sony is looking at the files located on the Central. When the Sony is looking at the Lenovo or the thumbdrive, the files are correctly identified as AVI.

I can stream the same files from the Seagate to other devices, such as a Samsung TV, or other computers in the house.
I can stream identical files from the Lenovo to the Sony players. When I navigate to the Lenovo computer, the Sony players correctly identify the files as AVI.
I can play the files from the thumbdrive inserted into the Sony players. Again, the files are correctly identified as AVI.
So, the only thing that doesn't work is streaming the files from the Central to the Sony players.
I have upgraded all software and firmware on the Sony players as well as the Central.

Can anyone help me?

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

First thing to do is download a program called Media Info : HERE run the program with the video file in question and determine the exact codec that is used.  Compare it with the chart below (supported video files for BDP-S390) to see if its supported.

BDP-S390 - Video Files.jpg

BDP-S390 - Video Files (2).jpg

Hope that assists anyhow

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
martinb666
Explorer

Hi

I think you've slightly missed the point on the problem. I have the same problem.

I have 2 NAS drives on my network one a seagate central and the other a western digital mybookworld.

As per the problem mentioned every type of video file plays fine on the western digital but nothing plays from the seagate.

It just seems strange that the sony blu ray is happy with the WD drive but wont play the seagate.

I personally think its the seagates fault as the blu ray is happy to video files from any other server.

Am talking to seagate will post a solution if I get one.
Tags (1)