Join now - be part of our community!

old to new

SOLVED
sonyidgosh
Explorer

old to new

hi there people.

just recently got a new bravia 40wd653 and have an old davs300 5.1 system that i wish to use while watching for sound. is this possible? and what kind of connections to i need. hope someone can help. thanks for reading. 

Daz  :wink:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The DAV-S300 does not have an optical or HDMI input so its not possible to output 5.1 sound from the TV to the DAV-S300.  However, you could connect it using the TVs headphone socket - but you would only get stereo sound at best.

You would need a 3.5mm to RCA cable, such as this one HERE.

Connect the 3.5mm plug to the headphone socket of the TV, and the red/white RCA end to the Audio IN connectors on either Video 1 or Video 2 on the DAV-S300.  You will then need to select the input source on the DAV-S300 to reflect either Video 1 or Video 2.

Personal Opinion - I am no fan of connecting old legacy devices to new devices.  It is a recipe for headaches!  As you have a nice new TV, how about a little more on either another all-in-one DVD or Bluray system or even a soundbar?

Cheers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The DAV-S300 does not have an optical or HDMI input so its not possible to output 5.1 sound from the TV to the DAV-S300.  However, you could connect it using the TVs headphone socket - but you would only get stereo sound at best.

You would need a 3.5mm to RCA cable, such as this one HERE.

Connect the 3.5mm plug to the headphone socket of the TV, and the red/white RCA end to the Audio IN connectors on either Video 1 or Video 2 on the DAV-S300.  You will then need to select the input source on the DAV-S300 to reflect either Video 1 or Video 2.

Personal Opinion - I am no fan of connecting old legacy devices to new devices.  It is a recipe for headaches!  As you have a nice new TV, how about a little more on either another all-in-one DVD or Bluray system or even a soundbar?

Cheers

sonyidgosh
Explorer

hey there.
i did think that was going to be the end result of my query. :smileycry::smileycry: *sobs uncontrolably*

such a shame. is a great little system and in great working order. *sigh*

i had been tryin t get sound by using av/audio lead, jus like i had been doin with my old tv, but there's no sound at all.

anyho,yup,time t take my last foot outta th dark ages n place it firmly beside my new tv n get a new dvd system.

appriciate the reply my friend. hope to do the same one day too  :wink:

cheers Quinnicus.