Join now - be part of our community!

Do I have to PAY for driver updates?

profile.country.en_GB.title
DaisyFraser
Visitor

Do I have to PAY for driver updates?

My Plusnet router does not work wirelessly. They suggest I update the drivers fo rmy PCG-631M Vaio Notebook. It looks like I have to pay £50 for the driver updates at Orinoco.

This might not even solve the problem. Is there another source for driver updates?

Message was edited by: DaisyFraser

Message was edited by: DaisyFraser

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi DaisyFraser.

No, you can usually download driver updates free - however, before you do this you will need to find the correct Model Type.  PCG-631M is the chassis model number and is not a valid model name.  You need the model name to get downloads.

Have a look for a model something like PCG-R600HFP.  Does it look like the model in this manual?

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/manuals/Notebooks/R600/R600MF/R600MF_H_UK.pdf

When you find the correct model, go to the Support Page for that model and you will find updates for several Windows Operating Systems under the 'Updates' Tab.

Here is a link to the Support Pages for the PCG-R600HFP

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/PCG-R600HFP/updates

You will see updates listed by OS.  If you are unsure, come back and let us know which version of Windows you are using.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi DaisyFraser,

Before trying the update driver route check that your router is not set to wireless ‘g’ only as your model possibly only operates on wireless ‘b’.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat