Join now - be part of our community!

How to reinstall the Recovery Partition

profile.country.fr_BE.title
bornival
Visitor

How to reinstall the Recovery Partition

Hi,

I had to do a complete recovery (factory settings) of my Vaio TX5XN, which I sucessfully did from the recovery partition (quite a long process, but it worked).

Now, when examining my disk, I see that the recovery partition is empty (it appears as a "Healthy EISA configuration" partition of 9.31 GB on the Administrative Tools (Computer Management -> Disk Management) but it is 100 % free.

Somehow, this partition was cleaned during the recovery process (I do not remember having selected that, but ...).

This is annoying because it means I cannot make a new full recovery if needed.

How can I reinstall this Recovery Partition ?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Removing the Recovery Partition is an option when making a full recovery - it is not the default option.  Unfortunately it is not reinstallable.

Have you not made a set of Recovery DVDs?

:anguished:

bornival
Visitor

Thnak you for your fast reply.

Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to made a set of Recovery DVS's !  I actually discovered that the recovery Partition was empty when trying to make them ...

I must have clicked on the wrong button when making the full recovery and/or its must have been one sort of cryptic question which I did not fully unerstand.

What should I do now ?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Now, when examining my disk, I see that the recovery partition is empty  (it appears as a "Healthy EISA configuration" partition of 9.31 GB on  the Administrative Tools (Computer Management -> Disk Management) but  it is 100 % free.

Hi bornival,

In Vista & windows 7 the recovery partition normally shows as empty when being viewed in Administrative tools..:smileyconfused:

However a quick way to check if the recovery partition is still intact is to try the following (may vary slightly)..

Click Start, followed by Vaio recovery tool (centre) and click on Vaio Recovery utility..

Once  the Vaio Recovery utility has loaded, click the options button and  select Recovery Specific Applications that were pre-installed, click OK,  then Yes and Yes again..

If this gives you the option to install specific pre-installed applications then your recovery partition is still intact..:smileywink:

bornival
Visitor

Hi,

Thank you also for the fast reply.

I discovered that the Recovery Partition should have been "emptied" when I tried to to make Recovery DVDs ...  I got an error message :

"Cannot start the recovery media kit wizard because the recovery partition ahs been deleted.  You need to use the Recivery Media kit to recover your computer or resore the recovery partition"

I repated the manoever right now and got the same result.

Now, I also started an attempt at recovery by hitting F10 upon starting.  I could go a certain way, suggesting that, the partition actually did exist and worked.  Hwoever, I stopped because I did not wish to risk a recovery ... that would wipe out everyging I have configured over the last 3 days.

I did what you suggested and, indeed I can see pre-installed applications ...

So, we now have one indication that the recovery partition has been deleted and two that says the opposite.

Questions:

1. Is there any safe way to check the content of the Recovery partition (I mean, without risking to satrt it ... and to discover only that its does not work...) ?

2. How can I make my recovery media kit (DVDs) ?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

1. Is there any safe way to check the content of the Recovery partition   (I mean, without risking to satrt it ... and to discover only that its   does not work...) ?

From what you posted, I would guess that the hidden HDD recovery partition is intact. Unfortunately  the only way I know of to test wether the recovery  partition, or indeed  the recovery disc that you ceated, will work when needed is to run the  process..

2. How can I make my recovery media kit (DVDs) ?

If you have already created a set of dics then you should be able to copy the disc and burn a duplicate copy..

Failing that you can if needed purchase a set of recovery disc's from vaio support..

bornival
Visitor

Thank you.  I guess all I'll have to do to beon the safe side is to purchase a set of recovery discs.  I hope they will not charge too much ...

Kind regards,

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome glad we could help..:smileyhappy: