Join now - be part of our community!

sony vgn-ar71s Turning off unexpectedly

profile.country.en_GB.title
jmgdotcom
Visitor

sony vgn-ar71s Turning off unexpectedly

I have a sony vgn-ar71 which keeps turning off unexpectedly even on the mains power and no battery. it's out of warranty now so any suggestions would be appreciated, i have  tried a different charger and battery but no luck.

thanks Jamie

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jamie,

It could be several things but the most likely is Processor overheating.  Does it happen when playing games or after long use? Does the fan sound like it is working?

To find out, download and install something like PC Wizard 2010 and tell us what the CPU temperature reads when playing a DVD.

http://pc-wizard.en.softonic.com/

You could try buying a can of compressed air and gently try to clean out the air vents through the fan to the CPU but if it contains a lot of dust you may have to open the case to clean it properly.

:wink:

jmgdotcom
Visitor

Thanks for your reply

i can only get it to turn on for about 2 mins on the mains without the battery, then it refuses to turn on at all for bout 30 mins, iv tried cleaning the vents and the fans sounds lik its working fine. normally i would turn off all the hardware on the motherboard(eg sound card, lan, wifi, bluetooth etc...) to narrow down a hardware problem but the bios is so restricted in what you can do. iv checked all the ports to make sure nothing is short circuting.

it doesant stay on long enough to install anything so i cant get the CPU temps for you, and thers no CPU temp monitoring in the BIOS.

its just out of warrenty to :(:(:(:

anymore suggestions i could try out? its currently a SONY VAIO paper weight lol

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You are right to suspect a hardware fault of some kind.

If you want to look inside, send me your email address by 'private message' and I will send you a .pdf of disassembly instructions.

:slight_frown:

jmgdotcom
Visitor

I disassembled it this afternoon, the power harness goes straight onto m/b :slight_frown: so i think its a new motherboard, do you know were i could get the make and model number of it??

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It will be a custom Sony MB and only available from Sony, one of its Service Partners or shipped from the US.

Are there no apparent loose connections?

:slight_frown: