linux for vgn ar51m

can i install linux in ar51m ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ioaboudo,

The official answer would be that Sony will only support the pre-installed operating system..

I would expect linux to install ok, however some of the function keys may not work correctly, but you'll need to find the open source drivers required..

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi ioaboudo,

The official answer would be that Sony will only support the pre-installed operating system..

I would expect linux to install ok, however some of the function keys may not work correctly, but you'll need to find the open source drivers required..

profile.country.ru_RU.title
cyrus_sr19
Visitor

2ioaboudo:

Hi.

Yes, you can. But you also can have some troubles. Some users wrote about troubles with AudioSystem.. but it depends on which distribution you choose to use.

Before start installation try your linux distr live-cd. And test all major systems(audio, keyboard, video, RAM etc).

Btw I found model of your laptop in MandrivaLinux Hardware Support -  http://hcl.mandriva.com/system/7633 . I think it may be a good choice for you.

2Thalamus:

Hi

Why Vaio and Computing still haven't got Linux branch?)

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Why Vaio and Computing still haven't got Linux branch?)

Hi cyrus_sr19,

do you mean within this forum.?

If so then you are best directing your question to the Questions & Answers forum administrator..

You could try the adress that can found at the bottom of the forum T&C thread HERE

profile.country.el_GB.title
ioaboudo
Visitor

thank Q guys