Join now - be part of our community!

Start-up Problems!

SOLVED
profile.country.da_DK.title
SonoTooriDesu
Visitor

Start-up Problems!

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a VAIO S 15" i7-3612QM 2.10GHz with 8 GB memory and Windows Premium.

Everything started off nice and without a hassle, but when I restarted after removing McAfee Antivirus (and replacing it with AntiVir) and updating with Windows Update (40 Updates), the start-up went south. After the black start-up screen with the Windows Logo on it, it moves on to a black background, and stays there for about 10-15 minutes, before proceeding to the "Welcome"-screen. The mouse is active, and when I hit the "Enter"-button, the back-lit keyboard lights up. Then when I tried re-booting again after finally coming through, there was a small "Message"-type thing in the bottom right corner. It says:

'Windows 7

Build 7601

This Copy of Windows is not Genuine'

Besides this, it is now extremely slow, and takes about 3-5 minutes to respond to a basic command. I should add, that in addition to deleting McAfee, I deleted a Bing application for IE, and also Microsoft Office 2011 pre-installed software, after installing the full version from a disk (authentic software). I did say something with it being 32-bit version or something, and that I should install 64-bit version of MIcrosoft Office, but I can't believe, that it would cause this boot-hell!

I mean, WTF! I am pretty much a computer Noob, and I have no idea what is going on. I think it has something to do with an update or the fact that I erased McAfee Antivirus. Please Help! I've seen some posts in this forum before, and you guys seem to be Masters of Disasters, when it comes to this, so I hope that you can help me. It would be much appreciated!

-The Very Best

SonoTooriDesu

Message was edited by: SonoTooriDesu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi SoonTooriDesu,

If McAfee has not been completely removed and you have a second anti virus running this could cause the problems you are experiencing.

Removing The demon McAfee requires more than just uninstalling via Control Panel. As this came preinstalled you first need to register the product before removal and even then it requires a cleanup as it leaves all sorts of c**p on the system. Have a look at the following link for more information.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

If this fails to solve the problem, and the computer is new, the easiest solution would be to return the notebook to factory settings and start over. Either tap F10 at boot or, if your model has an assist button press this when shut down, to enter the Recovery Utility and follow the instructions.

When restored carry out one action at a time followed by a reboot to check that all is working as expected.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi SoonTooriDesu,

If McAfee has not been completely removed and you have a second anti virus running this could cause the problems you are experiencing.

Removing The demon McAfee requires more than just uninstalling via Control Panel. As this came preinstalled you first need to register the product before removal and even then it requires a cleanup as it leaves all sorts of c**p on the system. Have a look at the following link for more information.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

If this fails to solve the problem, and the computer is new, the easiest solution would be to return the notebook to factory settings and start over. Either tap F10 at boot or, if your model has an assist button press this when shut down, to enter the Recovery Utility and follow the instructions.

When restored carry out one action at a time followed by a reboot to check that all is working as expected.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
SonoTooriDesu
Visitor

Hey rich912,

Firstly, thank you so much for your reply! It means the world to me - really^^

I looked into the mcAfee problem (Great to hear that pros also think it's crap) but it doesn't seem to be the problem. The main problem is now, that Windows says that I'm not running a "genuine" version of Windows. Looking into the weird message on my desktop saying "Windows 7
Build 7601

This Copy of Windows is not Genuine" - it seems that it is because of an Windows 7 SP1 update, that my system is behaving rather unpleasant at the moment. Other people with this problem have the exact same booting problems as me, so I'm rather confident, that this may be the cause. Would you have any idea on how to attack such a problem? Again, all and any help will be so much appreciated!

Very Best

-SonoTooriDesu

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi SonoTooriDesu,

You have the option to roll back from SP1. The following is from Microsoft support.

The easiest way to uninstall SP1 is using Programs and Features.

1. Click the Start button , click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.

2. Click View installed updates.

3. Click Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB 976932), and then click Uninstall.  If you don't see Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB 976932) in the list of installed updates, your computer likely came with SP1 already installed, and you can't uninstall the service pack. If the service pack is listed but grayed out, you can't uninstall the service pack.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/uninstall-sp1

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
SonoTooriDesu
Visitor

Thank you for you quick reply.

My last question might be a bit stupid, but is it safe for me to install Microsoft SP1 again after remove it. Maybe it just shows up in a batch of updates, and happens to be installed. Or if I end up deciding to go back to the factory settings, will it then be safe to install the SP1 again.

Thank you so much for your replies, and all your help!

Best Wishes

-SonoTooriDesu

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi SonoTooriDesu,

It may be worth running MGADiag tool prior to rolling back to see whether you can gather information on the problem. (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 ) Once saved, run the tool. Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.

Not having run this tool I have no idea what information will be provided but if we can't help analyse the report then possibly Windows Seven Forums will be able to help.

The following link is the source of the information. The thread is worth a read...

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/220710-windows-7-not-genuine-after-update-kb97...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
SonoTooriDesu
Visitor

Thanks again!

I'll try that, and post the results. It's acting up again right now, so I'll post it as soon as I am able to, which should be in a couple of minutes.

Thank you!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi SonoTooriDesu,

You just caught me - have an early start tomorrow.

Sad to say that I can't find anyting in that report to give an indication of the problem. Possibly if you start a thread on the Seven Forum they may be able to throw some light on it.

The other alternative is to roll back and see whether this solves the problem and if so contact Sony Support for guidance on the SP1 update.

Generally speaking service packs are a collection of security updates that may have very well already been installed individually plus a few new features - one of which seems to be causing a glitch on the Sony OEM version of the OS. I experienced multiple problems when installing SP3 on a Vaio running XP. In the end I rolled back and checked the option to never remind me about this Windows update again - no problems since.

Let us know which route you decide to take.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
SonoTooriDesu
Visitor

Thanks so much! You're the best!

I decided to take this sh** back to the factory settings. I just bought it anyway, and my head is on the verge of exploding. Sometimes it's better to admit defeat. This will actually probably be way faster than me continuing this charade - no more! Never again! ^^; Hehe....

Anyways, your help made me decide for this, and being stuck in a shitty situation like this and receive help in a matter of minutes by skilled profs. and people in the know (i.e. you) really means a lot! And I hope that you guys realise this!

So thanks you so very much, and I hope not to speak to you again in the near future^^;

The Most Appreciative Regards

-SonoTooriDesu

SonoTooriDesu
Visitor

-SonoTooriDesu

Message was edited by: SonoTooriDesu