Join now - be part of our community!

Wireless network dropping out (VPCEB3C5E)

profile.country.en_GB.title
Bundle77
Visitor

Wireless network dropping out (VPCEB3C5E)

Hi guys,

Am having problems trying to get anything useful from the technical support people, so thought I'd see if anyone here has any suggestions.

I have recently bought a new Sony laptop (VPCEB3C5E).  The laptop will connect to the wireless network for a short while - sometimes a couple of hours, usually as little as 30 seconds, before it drops out.  Once it's dropped, I cannot reconnect without re-booting the laptop.  It has done this ever since I got it, straight out of the box.  It also happens everywhere in the house, so I don't think it's wireless interference.  I have a desktop and mobile which use the same network which never has this problem.  I've tried turning both these off when trying to make the laptop work in case they were interfering, but it makes no odds.

I have tried the following:

Installed all Windows and Vaio updates

Changing power settings of wireless adapter

Re-installing driver for wireless adapter

Updating firmware for router

Updating driver for wireless adapter

Changing wireless router channels

Disabling IP6

Setting specific IP address (rather than obtaining one automatically)

Starting up in safe mode with networking

Installing brand new wireless router

Removing anti-virus and turning off firewalls

Full system restore - at the suggestion of the tech support guys (twice!!!)

None of the above have changed it.  The only thing which makes it work is when I plug in and install the USB wireless adapter from the desktop.  The connection never drops when using this.

Also: When the computer is first switched on, I can see a few other wireless networks of neighbours.  When the connection drops out, not only can I not see my wireless network, I can see none of the others either.

To me (and everyone else who I've pestered for advice) it seems like the wireless card in the laptop is faulty.  Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Nedster60
Visitor

Sorry, can't help but my VPC-EB4C is doing exactly the same. I've only had it 2 days and I'm pretty fed up about it. I've not called the support line yet but from what you've said it won't help me much.

On one occaision I was able to right click the start bar wireless notification icon and select "Trouble shooting", which fixed it by doing a reset of the wireless adapter - there was an event log recorded during this so the Sony support guys might be able to use that to see what happened. However this has only happened once. On every other occaision I've had to re-boot it.

joes1999999
Visitor

i get this too.. so do thousands of other sony users.. check the us version of this page, worryingly not one has ever found a solution...

this is driving me mad with a completely random internet connection

do you not think it odd that sony do not provide a search button on these pages ?

Nedster60
Visitor

After much messing around, I have finally got a useable laptop. The wireless connection now fails a maximum of maybe once a week, and repairs by resetting the wireless card if I "troubleshoot" the connection.

My route to this happy situation was as follows, I hope it helps someone:

1) I first updated the Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter driver version to 9.2.0.113 from here:

http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=37&system=6

This helped quite a bit, with the wireless failures going from approx once every 30 mins, to every couple of hours.

2) I next updated the Atheros AR9285 wireless adapter driver version to 9.2.0.419 from here:

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/wlan/?page=downloads

This improved matters even more, to failing maybe once per day.

3) Disabling the Windows 7 Firewall made the laptop much more stable from these failures but was not really an option due to the security implications. My current configuration has the Windows 7 Firewall switched on.

4) The biggie - I uninstalled the Sony Smart Network utility. I'd like to say this fixed things completely. Since doing it I've had just one wireless failure and that was at power-up in the last 2 weeks. This maybe a different fault, as I've had no failures from the laptop once it has powered up correctly

Other things I have done that may have helped and I have left changed because I'm too scared to change them back!

Wireless adapter power setting changed so that it doesn't switch off to save power.

Disabled IP6 protocol

Hope this helps

Ned

joes1999999
Visitor

thanks for your reply Ned

i had already done steps 1&2 , i tried with or with out firewall and it makes  no difference

i do not have vaio smart smart network..i have a lan icon, this fix i have seen this before and had replied asking how you would do the same for a vaio vgn fe41e with vista home premium....

this was on the us site.... no one had a a solution (4/5 years worth of posts !!!)

apart from to send the machine back for an expensive repair

i'm thinking sony didnt fit the correct compatable wireless card with vista o/s

or they just thought it'll be ok... either way i/m determined to get to the bottom of this...

its affecting literally thousands of sony customers !!! but sony are being quiet...

thanks again for the help....

Message was edited by: joes1999999

Message was edited by: joes1999999