Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio VGN-FW51MF/H, support for Dual Channel memory?

profile.country.fi_FI.title
terautio
Visitor

Vaio VGN-FW51MF/H, support for Dual Channel memory?

Recently I upgraded my VAIO by replacing internal HDD with SDD 120gb. At the same time I switched from win 7 (64bit) to Linux (Ubuntu 11.04 64bit). What a huge performance boost, mostly due to the SSD I guess. Altought I have not tried SSD with Win7. By the way, Ubuntu 11.4 works out of the box in this notebook. Even special keys next to dispaly are working. Kudos to Ubuntu community!

As I am getting greedy and want to upgrade my laptop even further I have plans to upgrade RAM from 6 GB (4gb+2gb) to 8gb (4gb+4gb, max supported by motherboard) to get more memory for applications and gain benefits of RAM dual channel technology if available.

I have tried to search with google and also in this forum, but could not succeed to find information if motherboard of my VAIO really support dual channel technology and if yes is there any limitations about memory modules I should use? Does it work automatically by replacing 2 gb module with 4 gb module to get 4gb + 4gb?

If anyone have experience about RAM upgrade with VGN-FW51MF/H I appreciate if you could share your experience.

I am planning to use my laptop for photo and HD video editing, which I assume, requires all the memory I can affort, but do not really know how much performance boost to expect.

Cheers,

Tero

0 REPLIES 0