Join now - be part of our community!

DSC WX5 - water damage has caused 'battery not compatible message'

SOLVED
dave52
New

DSC WX5 - water damage has caused 'battery not compatible message'

Hi. After a drink leak in my bag, I dried the camera,  recharged the battery but now after a couple of seconds I get the battery not compatible message and it switches off. I have another spare original battery and the same happens.

I've read some ideas about resetting the internal battery but not sure how to do it. Any comments to help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dave52
New

I've since had the back off , and managed to short out the internal battery. Actually I think it was the capacitor for the flash and it did go off with a bang and a flash!! !   Not recommended.  

Anyway when I put the normal battery back in and switched on it went to the original set up mode , so I thought I'd perhaps rebboted and sorted a software glitch...but no, .. after a few seconds the message came back saying "for use with compatible battery onty" and then switched itself off.

So it looks like permanent damge by the leak, to somewhere in the electrics.  

I now have a camera that's good for one photo at a time, - intelligent auto which at least completes before message and switch off.  Each time I switch on I have a couple of seconds to change a setting.

Just been out to Jessops and one last hope to try a new battery failed.  

Came away with a Sony HX60.

The end.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
dave52
New

I've since had the back off , and managed to short out the internal battery. Actually I think it was the capacitor for the flash and it did go off with a bang and a flash!! !   Not recommended.  

Anyway when I put the normal battery back in and switched on it went to the original set up mode , so I thought I'd perhaps rebboted and sorted a software glitch...but no, .. after a few seconds the message came back saying "for use with compatible battery onty" and then switched itself off.

So it looks like permanent damge by the leak, to somewhere in the electrics.  

I now have a camera that's good for one photo at a time, - intelligent auto which at least completes before message and switch off.  Each time I switch on I have a couple of seconds to change a setting.

Just been out to Jessops and one last hope to try a new battery failed.  

Came away with a Sony HX60.

The end.