Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Al_Charles

@scoopy6

Sorry you are infact incorrect. Sony promised the update earlier, then Cancelled it and have changed the time scale. They have release an update states side.

As for the rest of your arguement, If Sony had said 2016, them most of us would have waited or not purchased, after all why buy a tv in 2015 that wont work till 2016, when in 2016 there will be new models. 

Twobins

I think the current price of these models says more than Sony could ever say. I wanted to buy the KD43X85 at the time of launch but was disappointed when the launch date kept getting put back.Retailers were given no explanation, but there were rumours that the software was presenting problems. Because of this I waited about six weeks after launch before purchasing and got it for £799 from John Lewis after a £50 trade in allowance. Initially software updates came through but have since dried up. My TV is still buggy and promised features have still not appeared. Tomorrow I am packaging the TV and sending it back to JL just inside the 90 day returns deadline. I can't take the chance that Sony won't abandon these sets in favour of 2016 models. In the meatime the price has now dropped to £669, and I am sure thats not the lowest it will go. If this set was so good, they wouldn't have to discount it. Sony released TVs that were not ready for market. I feel sorry for the people who paid full price and feel they can no longer return their sets, although I think consumer law would be on their side as what was advertised has clearly not been provided.

profile.country.GB.title
Stevevalo

Thanks I got an email inviting me to write a review of the 43W8, so I did, a bad one and its been published on the Sony site:

Poor beta product released to the public

108 CM (43”) 17/09/2015 by 1357

I bought this a month ago and wish I hadn't! The brightness is set to max to see any picture. The apps keep crashing. The sound lags. displays a blank screen. no voice control. The TV lags the remote button presses. etc, etc

profile.country.GB.title
Stevevalo

The link is here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/w850c-w800c-series/reviews-ratings

Don't forget to give it the thumbs-up!

scoopy6

@Al_Charles wrote:

@scoopy6

Sorry you are infact incorrect. Sony promised the update earlier, then Cancelled it and have changed the time scale. They have release an update states side.

As for the rest of your arguement, If Sony had said 2016, them most of us would have waited or not purchased, after all why buy a tv in 2015 that wont work till 2016, when in 2016 there will be new models.

Time will tell but yes, I am very gullible and perhaps, for other brands, reliability is often just as poor and marketing just as misleading. We also have a 3 year old Tv Samsung UE55F8000, which had a similar reputation but is now already forgotten, just as the OP has predicted for Sony's 2015 models.

The F8000 seemed extremely expensive but a prominent advertising feature was that it would be future proofed with an 'evo kit' which, in spite of vague promises, has still not materialised in uk. Their customer service dept remains polite but has been completely useless, Samsung's local engineer knew nothing about the current range, the technical department was also in Egypt, and none of our particular niggles has ever been addressed. This morning it started with a lingering message that the camera could not work 'because it was switched off'.

Our old Panasonic was rock solid for 13 years. That is a bit out of date now but maybe the key is to choose a gogglebox with the fewest features, so there is not so much to go wrong, and to be able just to throw away the cheaper accessories. 

49X8309C in uk
DaM3k0n

Most of the sites I looked at the TV did state that some of these features were not available and were due soon, Summer 2015... well thats been and gone!!

So, lessons to learn..

Never assume anything, and never believe anything you read!

Its very annoying that we spend our hard earned money on stuff that cant even provide the features is advertising!  Im contemplating sending mine back.. problem is, in exchange for what?

andrewsoong

Technically summer ends 22 September so there's still time yet! A whole day!

I've now sent mine back though.

anjenki75

How to curb USB recording warning: don't press the record button

When YouView will appear: when Sony feel like it

Sadly the features are not available, Sony have a link on the support homepages for these models addressing these questions:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/more-features-coming-to-your-android-tv-soo...

I think it's been updated again, some features now say 29th September (used to be August but at least it's a specific day now):

YouviewSummer 2015*
Playstation Video29th of September
USB HDD RecWithin this year*
HDR support (X93C and X94C only)29th of September
DVB-T2/HEVC broadcast support
(2K/4K Android TV models - where free-to-air broadcast is available)
29th of September
Restricted profile for Android29th of September
Twin TunerWithin this year*
Picture in Picture/Picture and PictureWithin this year

Note that YouView still says "summer". What a laugh... TBH I don't want an update for any of those "features". I want it to fix the many many bugs in the system.

However someone on avforums thinks his TV has been updated to vPKG2.297.XXX yesterday...

anjenki75

scoopy6 I am not convinced yet that Sony will modify the EPG to support "PVR functions". They only ever said USB recording, which could mean anything. It could work like this for example:

1. You are watching live TV

2. You press the record button on the remote

3. The programme is recorded to the hard disk

4. You go into the Video app, or some other app, and you can find a list of recordings and watch them

Sony customer support also explained to me how YouView is implemented. It is not just an app (although there is one for convenience, like there is a tile for Live TV). It is integrated into the system and replaces the Sony EPG; you will have the option of whether to "install" YouView, in which case you will lose the standard Sony EPG/TV features, including all access to the satellite tuner.

http://www.whathifi.com/sony/tv-youview/review

Some of these things (like USB record vs YouView) might make more sense when you coinsider that the YouView parts are probably being developed jointly by YouView and Sony. So Sony is effectively supporting two subsystems, and the way TV works is completely different for both.