Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
andglend6
Explorer

Ref Humax volume

have you tried

HDR FOX T2 and HD FOX T2 Menu - Settings - Preferences -Audio - Digital Audio Out (Multi-channel/Stereo)

Select stereo.

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Does anyone have a fix for apps that won't open? This morning iPlayer just got "this application can't be opened right now" same with Netflix. Only way round it was a full reboot.  

Any one had luck with warranty returns with Sony? 

Triswillmott

The less said about Sony warranty returns the better. Got my X8509C 20th August and it has a constant click/popping sound coming from the power supply along with terrible gradient banding and DSE. Called Sony about 2 weeks ago and they said unplug and cease using the tv immediately and an engineer will ring me back within 2 hours!

2 weeks later now and I've had to call them every single day as nobody has called me back still. They're refusing to replace the tv and remain adamant they want to send an engineer to replace the power supply unit. Told them it's a waste because a power supply won't fix the ugly screen effects but thats as far as I've gotten with a warranty replacement so far.

SDCEGavster

@andglend6 wrote:

Ref Humax volume

have you tried

HDR FOX T2 and HD FOX T2 Menu - Settings - Preferences -Audio - Digital Audio Out (Multi-channel/Stereo)

Select stereo.

Thanks for the advice. However, my Humax settings are all the same as before and the Audio is still set to Stereo. I did try and look online for remote codes/TV codes but found nothing that could help. I can change the RM-F01 mode code to another single digit, but I don't know what they mean or what they are for.

Seems strange that only on the HD channels (BBC1 HD, BBC Two HD, ITV HD etc) the RM-F01 remote does not control the volume at all. I get a visual on screen that its working, except it's not.

Update to earlier issues:

1. Video lag on 4K streaming content via Amazon Prime. 

I continued to view a new series (The Man in the High Castle) in 4K last night and the cyclicle video lag/glitch that was there the first time I viewed has now gone. The picture quality is pretty damn good too.

2. HDMI2 video input issues/sound loss/STR-DA3300 input.

Intermiitent viewing of Blu-ray disc/PS3 input is unresolved. First no video, only audio. Then only video and no audio. I turned the AV off and on again and it fixes it temporarily it seems. But still really flaky. Any similar issues anyone?

profile.country.GB.title
pjxr70
Explorer

The way is see it is you won't find a better 4k tv picture for the price. I have tried 4 different tvs from panasonic samsung LG and sony. Not one apart from Sony Could display great motion handling (mine 55x8509). To get a picture as good as this I need to spend £2500 on a Samsung 9000 series! but that tv has problems too, but still not sony quality!. I know android doesn't work as smoothly as it should but I'm sure that can be fixed. I don't really use the tvs smart functionality as I have an external youview ps4 etc. So to sum things up the picture quality on my tv is fantastic and for £999 it's a great price too. You can go on forever in your quest to find a good tv but for me the Sony does what I want a great picture oh and did mention the Sony sets look classy too ☺

SDCEGavster

pjxr70 wrote:

The way is see it is you won't find a better 4k tv picture for the price. I have tried 4 different tvs from panasonic samsung LG and sony. Not one apart from Sony Could display great motion handling (mine 55x8509). To get a picture as good as this I need to spend £2500 on a Samsung 9000 series! but that tv has problems too, but still not sony quality!. I know android doesn't work as smoothly as it should but I'm sure that can be fixed. I don't really use the tvs smart functionality as I have an external youview ps4 etc. So to sum things up the picture quality on my tv is fantastic and for £999 it's a great price too. You can go on forever in your quest to find a good tv but for me the Sony does what I want a great picture oh and did mention the Sony sets look classy too ☺

I totally agree with everything you've written. My KD-55X8507C looks stunning even when it's not on. :slight_smile:

I know I'm slightly biased (I'm ex-Sony Design Centre Europe) and the designers of my TV's are still my good friends, but I will always buy Sony. The quality is still the best and now the price is competitive too. (even without staff discount!).

I have faith all the problems will be fixed. I don't have many issues and the pro's still out way the cons.

t1mmm9879
Explorer

Also agreed my end!

Picture quality on my w805c is unreal.

Once they smooth our Android TV, I'll be very happy :). 

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

Sometimes I get a spinning wheel when trying to open amazon video, I press and hold the power button down until "powering off" shows on the screen for some reason it restarts the TV I don't have to press the power button again, if that's what you call a reboot then that's what I do, it's just annoying that it won't stay powered off as it restarts straight away on its own, if I was going away I would like to power it down and it stay off not in standby. As of right now if I was going away I would have to unplug it hopefully when sony pull their finger out and give us an update it might sort it. 

DaM3k0n

I just tap the power button and set shuts off after a few seconds  -  Its not an instant response.... holding the power button down as you are doing, does reboot the system so it will restart automatically... 

I get a spinning wheel when trying to access online services, its generally just what happens when its connecting to online stuff, and can vary depending on how fast your broadband is.. I have 150mb service, and you will see thes for several seconds before content is shown.... unless its goin on for 20/30+ seconds, I would conisder this normal...

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

OK thanks, I would say 9 out of ten times the app opens I get spinning wheel no more than 5 seconds and the app opens then sometimes just spinning wheel for ages that's when I do the reboot,  I'm on fibre broadband not as fast as 150 mines more 60ish, that's the only real issue I get not really into apps I've not installed any yet. And long as sky works, my playstations work its fine for me as normally I use the ps4 or ps3 to watch Netflix or amazon, still not signed it to the Netflix tv app.