Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
andrewsoong

It wouldn't surprise me if Youview never comes out. That software is bloated as hell, it runs badly enough on a dedicated box, it must run like a dog on the hardware used here as well as being on top of an already bloated Android.

profile.country.nl_NL.title
corpsmaster

So today I've ask Sony Benelux Customer Support again when an update should come out to resolve the problems I am having. They don't know when a new update will come out.

So, what real options do I have?

Are there any Dutch customers here who have problems with their w80?c TV (I have a 43w808c)? Which other steps did they take?

thanks

elraouk

Now my Sony's have gone (cue long wait to actually get a refund) I called my local Richer Sounds to see what they would recommend and had in stock.

He was surprised by my comments about Android, saying they hadn't had any returned.  He was aware of some missing features, he mentioned licensing issues (which could be YouView or Dolby/DTS maybe?) or just a blag as they probably know as little as we do.

I asked about the returns policy if we bought a Samsung and didn't like it, was told if it was just a case of not liking it then there would be some sort of re-stocking fee which would depend on whether I swapped it or wanted a refund.  Won't be buying from that store!

Shame, as I can't get to a JL until Saturday and they can't deliver before then either.

Edit: Just noticed RS is actually £30 cheaper than JL and they offer 6yr v 5yr guarantee.  I know JK will price match, but last time I did that it took a week.

Have people who have bought from RS stores (as opposed to online) been able to return their TVs without any issues, or does there have to be a fault?

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Isn't this new text from the upcoming services pages?

"We're in the final stages of testing and are refining the YouView experience on Sony's Android TVs. The launch date will be announced shortly."

My Model KD43X8309CBU
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Good old licensing excuses! I am not saying that they are not genuine, but they do get abused and used as an excuse!

The DD/dts I cant see being to much of an issue (unless SONY have really peed off someone lol) as so many products get it without hassle.

Where I do see a possible licensing issue is with the HDD rec functions. I think for a number of years broadcasters haven't really liked the implementation and use of it. Understandably because it is open to misuses. There is a lot of software out there that can decrypt the live TV recordings and then enable the person to upload and let it be downloaded on the net.

Just my thoughts, not got any proof or solid knowledge on the subject!

alfonzobonzo

Yeah, Humax dont seem to care about such things....

profile.country.en_GB.title
orangeyred

From what I remember, Sony already has astonishingly sophistacted encryption on their TVs with HDD Rec function.  Thread here on it: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kdl-40cx523-hdd-recording/td-p/273126

So shouldn't be a licensing issue in that respect.  They've appeased the content creators before and should be able to now as well.

I've just unpacked a brand new KDL-55W809C in our store, which was
manufactured in September.
The firmware on this set is 2.347! I'll let you know, if I find out what
this version fixes, but so far no unstable and sluggish Android experience
on this set!
t1mmm9879
Explorer

This is positive news!!!!!! 

Still no surround sound for Netflix, but Netflix and the Android UI is fast
and responsive - they way it should be!